Lead weights

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Lead weights

Post by Kevanf1 »

Do any of you gentlemen make your own weights? I'm considering purchasing a couple of moulds. The ones I have in mind are drilled bullets in 1.1 ounce, 1.5 ounce and 2 ounce together with a more modern (sorry) pattern of flat, inline pear lead in similar sizes. The bullets for use on the river as I like to roll the bait across the swim. I did this long before it became fashionable through Ray Walton by the way. The pear leads for still waters mainly but they would also have use on the river.

So, what I would like to know is... How long does it take for the lead to cool enough to be popped out of the mould? Does blackening the mould with candle soot (prior to casting of course) really help in ejecting the freshly made weights? What are the best sources for scrap lead (legal please ;) )? Though I do currently have quite a stockpile of lead from when I have done plumbing work on the house, I've ripped out old redundant lead pipe.
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Lead weights

Post by Santiago »

I've a strong hunch that lead weights of that size are illegal to use in freshwater, and have been since the eighties!!! But I might be wrong!!! No doubt someone will confirm or not!!!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

As far as I am aware, unless it has changed, it is illegal to use lead in weights under 1 ounce. Anything over is fine. I will of course check before ordering any moulds :)
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Great!! I wasn't sure! Best be sure than sorry!!!

Hemingway

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

Wow! you mean I was actually correct for once ;) I thought it was an ounce or over. Anything smaller I can always use steel nuts (I'm thinking of those snaggy, perchy areas with this). It's also a good way of using up any lead shot that I come across if I am given any old tackle. It does still turn up..

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Shame you live so far away. I've 5kg of lead that I could donate in exchange for a a few lead weights of course!!!

Hemingway

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

You bin up on that church roof again? :shocked:

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Just some old sea leads I melted down to make an anchor for a small boat. I sold the boat and kept the lead!! Church roof, what church roof your honour!!

Hemingway

BerwickBrook

Post by BerwickBrook »

I used to make dozens and dozens of sea leads using the gemini system and although I heard of it, never saw the need for soot

I still get lead from my local scrap dealer. They generally sell it at a set £price per kilo - £3 at the moment.

You can usually pick out the cleanest stuff also - offcuts of lead flashing are usually the best.

Talking of lead flashing, if you ever need any, go to the scrappy first - again I've bought complete rolls for £3 per kilo rather than £60 a roll at wickes etc :shocked:

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”