Charity shop finds

The Other Reels forum.
JAA
Crucian Carp

Re: Charity shop finds

Post by JAA »

I saw a Winfield Spinmaster at a boot sale today. No I didn't. It looked like it had been kicked about, but it was smooth as silk when I turned the handle.
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

Kev D wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:17 pm
MWithell wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:45 pm Very glad to know it was man enough to tame them fearsome rudd! That sounds a good rod to go with it.
I sort of hoped that Herculu's gentle initiation with a few rudd would lead to an opportunity of proving himself against a tench .
Sadly ,while Herculu performed as a reel should, l let him down by proving unable to tease even a nibble from one of the Green Ones.
Well, my first fish on the K Dowling reel you very generously sent me. As you can see, reel and rod (Allcocks Viking) were taxed to the full.Image
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Rockape wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:19 am I got a hit of nostalgia when I found a mint boxed Black Prince at a Saturday market in Bridport a few years ago; got it for a fiver.

I tucked it away in a cupboard and now and again I would take it out to bring back some wonderful memories.

I often check out the charity shops in my area, but have yet to find much fishing related.
I have seen a few reels in house clearance shops and warehouses, but they had obviously done their research, and priced them all accordingly.

Since that first Saturday Market Black Prince, I have collected a few more mint or near mint examples (plus one American version, the Tomcat), and a few boyo's.

The black prince was my first fixed spool reel, followed up (because of a grooved bail arm) by a New De Luxe and an Extra; I did eventually progress to a Mitchell 410A (my dream reels at the time were the Mitchell 300 and 440A Match, but the tackle shop recommended a 410, so that's what I happily ended up with).
I'm often down your way and spend a bit of time on Portland ( got friends and family there, Weymouth and Portland)
You might want to look out for the Weymouth Angling club table top sales, held outside the club on Weymouth Harbour ( I was manning a table there) they had some very interesting bits and bobs. Plus its a nice afternoon out and you can get a pint if you fancy one.

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

MWithell wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:57 pm
Kev D wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:17 pm
MWithell wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:45 pm Very glad to know it was man enough to tame them fearsome rudd! That sounds a good rod to go with it.
I sort of hoped that Herculu's gentle initiation with a few rudd would lead to an opportunity of proving himself against a tench .
Sadly ,while Herculu performed as a reel should, l let him down by proving unable to tease even a nibble from one of the Green Ones.
Well, my first fish on the K Dowling reel you very generously sent me. As you can see, reel and rod (Allcocks Viking) were taxed to the full.Image
Great to know that it works . :Happy:
I took it's twin out yesterday evening and the biggest thing that it had to cope with was the weight of my worm..... 😀
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

ImageImage
Actually, I got these a bit later. Crucian 1lb4oz and tench 1lb10oz. Not colossal but they went well, and I was gratified the Viking didn't snap.
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Mr B wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:30 pm
Rockape wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:19 am I got a hit of nostalgia when I found a mint boxed Black Prince at a Saturday market in Bridport a few years ago; got it for a fiver.

I tucked it away in a cupboard and now and again I would take it out to bring back some wonderful memories.

I often check out the charity shops in my area, but have yet to find much fishing related.
I have seen a few reels in house clearance shops and warehouses, but they had obviously done their research, and priced them all accordingly.

Since that first Saturday Market Black Prince, I have collected a few more mint or near mint examples (plus one American version, the Tomcat), and a few boyo's.

The black prince was my first fixed spool reel, followed up (because of a grooved bail arm) by a New De Luxe and an Extra; I did eventually progress to a Mitchell 410A (my dream reels at the time were the Mitchell 300 and 440A Match, but the tackle shop recommended a 410, so that's what I happily ended up with).
I'm often down your way and spend a bit of time on Portland ( got friends and family there, Weymouth and Portland)
You might want to look out for the Weymouth Angling club table top sales, held outside the club on Weymouth Harbour ( I was manning a table there) they had some very interesting bits and bobs. Plus its a nice afternoon out and you can get a pint if you fancy one.

Mr B
Thanks for that info Mr B, I had no idea they did that!?
I've lived in this part of the world for a quarter of a century (makes it sound longer..lol) and missed it completely.
I'll try and find out what days they hold those sales.

Thanks again :Hat:

Return to “Other Reels”