Stupid question time.

The Other Reels forum.
Willsmodger
Rudd

Stupid question time.

Post by Willsmodger »

Time for another one of my stupid questions. This time about spool tolerances.

I've watched a YouTube video about one of these Chinese centrepins, a sort of Okuma Sheffield knock off called a Saion. Further research on Ali Express has revealed they are available for about £40 posted, there's also one on FB Marketplace for £25, I'm tempted but......

The guy on the video said he had to use aluminium tape to fill in the gap between the spool and the backplate as the line kept getting behind the spool.

Now, ok I could save up for months (years actually, the work pension is a major disappointment) for a better engineered reel, but before I do that, it would be politic to avail myself of the great know how of forum members. The opportunity is to get a cheap reel and sort it.

I can see how the aluminium tape would work, sort of, it peels off from backing, so it's a matter of cutting to size and sticking it to the inner rim. Possibly more than one application until the gap becomes acceptable.

However, is there any other way of doing it?

Told you it was a stupid question. Regards to the TFF
brains trust😁

MGs
Pike

Re: Stupid question time.

Post by MGs »

Although I have a couple of vintage pins, I do have one new one.
I bought one of these, a few years ago. The price has gone up a bit, I paid £35 for mine.
https://www.temu.com/uk/kuiper/n9.html? ... f-be2d086f

You might find it cheaper on Aliexpress
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004 ... 3fd8970eac

I did have a Marco Cortesi for a while but didn't get on with it. I prefer the above. I've never seen the need to bulk out the spool, as it is relatively shallow. Not quite match reel size but enough for my needs. It has a line guard. I must have used the reel dozens of times but not found line getting between the backplate and spool an issue. I did have to put some threadlock on the reel foot as it worked loose.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

You might consider spending your £40'on a decent, secondhand well engineered Rapidex or Mordex etc. Aluminium tape not required!

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

Catfish.017 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:17 am You might consider spending your £40'on a decent, secondhand well engineered Rapidex or Mordex etc. Aluminium tape not required!
My thoughts entirely! So long as you can get a decent one for £40. Prices have hardened recently. It would probably last longer too. Personally I'm not worried about the cosmetic condition of tackle so long as it works. Probably my wife thinks the same about me...
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Willsmodger
Rudd

Post by Willsmodger »

Many thanks for the replies.

There's a Rapidex for £30 and a Mordex Merlin for £10(!) On Facebook as well. I've done my homework, the Rapidex is 4" in diameter, great reel but for long trotting? I don't know... The Merlin I've checked out before on this and other forums, the consensus seems to be its a great static, margin reel, but a bit heavy and reluctant for trotting, and there seems to be an issue with the central boss which can crack. Still and all I've sent an email to the seller asking about the possibility of posting. No reply as yet.

Like the Okumas, Marco's et al, I'm guessing the Saion has these new bearings that sees it run like a good 'un straight out of the box. Plus there is always caveat emptor when buying used. In fairness, the vast majority of anglers are honest and I probably won't be buying a dog, but you never know. At my budget level, on EvilBay, a lot of the reels look well used indeed.

But ok, I was curious and once again the TFF brains trust has gifted me with their best advice. It is much appreciated.

All the best guys.
Will.

Willsmodger
Rudd

Post by Willsmodger »

Thanks for the links btw, MGs, the Ariel type reel does look very nice. Appreciated.

Will.

Dave F
Grayling

Post by Dave F »

In November 2021, I purchased two Channelmay CNC 4.5” centrepin reels from Amazon at £55.00 each. They spin as good as my Aerial Match or Speedia and I have had no problems using them. Not sure if the longevity will be as good as the Aerial, Speedia or the other “old” centre pins that I have, but the quality looks good.
Speedias can be sourced at around £40.00. Speedex or Rapidex about £50.00 and the same for a Trudex.

The choice is yours!
Oh to be at my “Happy Place” where nothing matters but the being there.

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Yes, those China reels are working and they're cheap. But they come at a cost of course. For sustainability reasons I'd always prefer a used reel to a new one, no matter where it's been made.
Even as traditional anglers we can't fully avoid modern things. The best example is probably the fishing line. But by using home made floats, old cane rods and reels, that already have caught fish for decades, we can reduce our impact on nature quite a bit.
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Willsmodger
Rudd

Post by Willsmodger »

Thanks Dave and Martin. I've had a reply back from the guy selling the Mordex, just working out now how to get to him. £10 + travel costs for the reel which looks in pretty good condition.

Oddly, checked the bay and there's a replacement metal boss for that very reel available for £20, which still represents a bargain if needed.

Ali Express and the others do offer a saving from the likes f Amazon. Obviously they are from the same source. Delivery is quoted as 15 days, and it's pretty accurate, I got a fixed spool reel from same last year and it was a little bit quicker than that.

I'll see how it goes with the Mordex, but again thanks for the replies, very much appreciated.

All the best.

Will.

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

I'm with Martin in thinking that appreciating the history and spirit of old items is something that adds to the fishing experience . And as he says ; it fits with the recycling ethos at the same time .
Having said that l am weak and a few years ago l succumbed to temptation when faced with display of budget tackle at a country show. I guess if shiny tackle was bait a lot of anglers would be banked as many times as those infamous named carp!
I exchanged £30 for this unnamed reel .( pictured with my much loved Mordex in the background )
20230602_122207.jpg
Then took it home and did some mild cosmetic customisation ; no more than turning the handles round removing the line guard and applying some etch primer and black paint to take the newness off it . It has a mildly traditional look, spins like a dervish on amphetamins and l guess it falls to me to add the history factor .
I still have no idea of its trade name but it's clearly from the Chinese stable and a recent Google indicates that one can be had for about £60 .
It must be better bet than something that needs sticky tape on the back plate to make it useable. Though it lacks that intangible "something" of the Mordex.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Kev D on Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Return to “Other Reels”