New to this...

General fly fishing chat area.
Crucian
Eel

Re: New to this...

Post by Crucian »

Martin James wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 8:16 am Wakou not sure where you live but if you wish to contact me I will guest you on my river for a day and set up all your gear and get you casting Martin
What a marvellous offer :Hat:

Wakou
Rudd

Post by Wakou »

Martin James wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 8:16 am Wakou not sure where you live but if you wish to contact me I will guest you on my river for a day and set up all your gear and get you casting Martin
Martin! So kind of you!
I am in Essex, but can travel! (I am not quite ready for the Spey!)

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

Wakou you should get a PM from me via Mark, as I am not good at this modern technology, When you receive the message please call me and I can sort you out with a day in Sussex as I will be there for 3 weeks in July, I'm certain we can agree on a date. Martin

Wakou
Rudd

Post by Wakou »

Martin James wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:57 am Wakou you should get a PM from me via Mark, as I am not good at this modern technology, When you receive the message please call me and I can sort you out with a day in Sussex as I will be there for 3 weeks in July, I'm certain we can agree on a date. Martin
Martin, My apologies for not responding sooner, I was having an "interesting" week at work... (My short reply was at 05:20, just before leaving for an "assessment".. (yawn! Yes I can drive this truck and etc...)
But! And so...
I finally caught up with my social media, emails etc One of them was "Important News from the National Lottery, please log-in to your account!
I logged in and yes, I had won! ... £10.47!
Next up was to check this forum... and to see your message... You can guess which of these gave me more pleasure..! I shall reply to you, via Mark soon!

Wakou
Rudd

Post by Wakou »

But also on the topic of "duffers", it was a tiring week, and after work today, (Saturday), I visited a small (tiny) river to which my club has "access" It is frankly little more than a ditch, in places, but... it has gravel runs, and the water seems to be clean! (this is Essex)
Thrashing through the vegetation, there were millions of these..
Also, there were fishes! (small ones), gorging themselves on this bounty!
I knew that this "fly" lark would become "interesting" (I felt bad making this one 'pose' for a picture, but there were gazillions of them!)

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

With 3 'tails' it is a mayfly I believe! With 2 tails it could be a Dun.
One book I would recommend is "Pocket Guide to MATCHING THE HATCH" - mine was £7.99 - by Peter Lapsley & Cytil Bennett. An easy reference for both still and running water as to what fly and when is hatches & flies!

Have you resolved setting up your fly rod/reel yet?

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

Olly so true, I reckon it’s the perfect book for beginners and the experienced angler.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Hi Martin - good to see you are fishing!

Yes - I thought it expensive at roughly £8 - - but it has proved invaluable to me. Birds I can see, but insects - unless cockchafer or stag - I do have problems!

And the rather large and informative insect book bought by step daughter is far too big to carry so a photo and refer when at home!

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

Wakou I'm pretty certain that fly is a Green Drake, next time when you take a pic, please try to get two pics top and bottom shots of the fly.

Wakou
Rudd

Post by Wakou »

Thank you gents! I have ordered the pocket book, as well as two others by the same author
books.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General Fly Chat”