New to this...

General fly fishing chat area.
Wakou
Rudd

New to this...

Post by Wakou »

And so! It is "Duffer's" week.. Last week, I was tempted by an offer from a well-known Scottish fishing shop. A rod, a reel (with five spools), portable landing-net, a bag, backing, line, 'tippets', some flies, a fly-box, some nippers and a zinger, etc etc. I have no idea what to do with it all! So, should I put the backing on to the reel... but to come off of the top or the bottom? And attach that to what? And how? :surrender:
ps this is nothing to do with "traditional" but the whole lot was £70.00, inc shipping. The rod is a Daiwa, the bag is by Shakespeare. I could not resist!

Paul F
Sea Trout

Re: New to this...

Post by Paul F »

You only put the backing on to fill the spool, so to start by putting the fly on backwards, it will have 2 labels, one says to reel, one says end (or to that effect)

Wind on the fly line end, when fly line is on, tye the backing to the end saying reel and fill the spool, when full tye the backing to your spare spool and wind back on so you are all correct.

And the line comes off the bottom of the spool.

Wakou
Rudd

Post by Wakou »

Thank you! But.. "start by putting the fly on backwards" What?
I sort of knew that this was going to be an expensive "hobby". I need to employ a chap to teach me. And some quiet water. The introductory "offer" was, as I knew, like a drug-dealer offering cheap samples of his wares.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Treat yourself to a general book on fly fishing , like the one by Jardine , The Encyclopedia of Fly Fishing, that will explain most of the basics on an introductory level . More specific advice will then be needed depending on where and how you plan to fish.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Wakou
Rudd

Post by Wakou »

Santiago wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:15 am Treat yourself to a general book on fly fishing , like the one by Jardine , The Encyclopedia of Fly Fishing, that will explain most of the basics on an introductory level . More specific advice will then be needed depending on where and how you plan to fish.
Thank you! The idea that I had, of simply popping over to my club's stretch of the Suffolk Stour (delicious!) and wafting a little fly over the eager mouths of the fishes resident, is obvs, null!
"To begin, tie the fly on backwards"

Wakou
Rudd

Post by Wakou »

Not to mention that "my" club can't even answer a simple question "Am I allowed to fish with fly-tackle on our stretch of the Stour?"
Answers:
Yes!
No!
Maybe!
Possibly!
And from the enforcement officer of the EA, who knows that stretch well, and is a member of the club immediately downstream of ours:
"of course you can, if anyone asks, tell them I said so"

OldRod
Grayling

Post by OldRod »

PLEASE Waku, get yourself an hour's (at least) instruction on casting form a GOOD instructor. (you need to beware some of them) It will be your best investment, and your quickest route to success.
Good luck!
At the end of the game, the pawn and the King go back into the same box........

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Wakou wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 7:57 am Thank you! But.. "start by putting the fly on backwards" What?
I sort of knew that this was going to be an expensive "hobby". I need to employ a chap to teach me. And some quiet water. The introductory "offer" was, as I knew, like a drug-dealer offering cheap samples of his wares.
Sorry mis type, I meant putting the fly line on backwards

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Addendum:: -- :Chuckle:

Some club/EA Rules for the Stour - :tea: - The Dorset Stour!:-
Coarse Fishing: 16th June – 14th March
Salmon: 1st February – 31st August (catch & release only)
Sea Trout: 15th April to 31st October
Brown Trout: 1st April – 15th October (catch & release only, fly only)

For salmon and sea trout you will need a - Migratory Rod "Salmon/Sea Trout Licence" - more expense - just fish for the Brown Trout.

There are several good videos on starting fly fishing.
Last edited by Olly on Mon May 22, 2023 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Right -
what length is the rod - ?
what is the rod's rating for a fly line - - 5/6# - 6/7# - ?
what fly line(s) have you got WF (weight forward) - DT (double taper) - ?
are they S for sinking - F for floating - ?

Just for a start - so you know what you have purchased!

Return to “General Fly Chat”