THE KORKA.......At last !!!

The Other Reels forum.
Russell Brown
Rudd

THE KORKA.......At last !!!

Post by Russell Brown »

I'd been trying very hard (scrolling down from the comfort of the sofa) to find THE KORKA fsr made by T J Harrington and was beginning to believe that it's existence was only in my head.I found one in its original box with users manual !!! WOW.So these,I think,are all the fsr's made by TJH......Omnia half-bale,Super Omnia,The Bantam,The Magnet,The Magda and The Korka.None of their reels were ever masterpieces of engineering and the Omnia's are quite easy to find apart from their original triangular boxes.The other 4 are very few and far between.When I get the KORKA I'll do a few pics of them all together.......If anyone tells me of another model I will go doolally.🤪TTFN

Fredline
Tench

Re: THE KORKA.......At last !!!

Post by Fredline »

Russell Brown wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:19 am I'd been trying very hard (scrolling down from the comfort of the sofa) to find THE KORKA fsr made by T J Harrington and was beginning to believe that it's existence was only in my head.I found one in its original box with users manual !!! WOW.So these,I think,are all the fsr's made by TJH......Omnia half-bale,Super Omnia,The Bantam,The Magnet,The Magda and The Korka.None of their reels were ever masterpieces of engineering and the Omnia's are quite easy to find apart from their original triangular boxes.The other 4 are very few and far between.When I get the KORKA I'll do a few pics of them all together.......If anyone tells me of another model I will go doolally.🤪TTFN
One of the last reels they made and was not a good seller hence the rarity was the Cathog. I think the name alone put people off.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

There are a few other TJH reels, the Triple Checker, the Maxima, the Little Kraka, the Invicta and I think the Wey was their's too.

Russell Brown
Rudd

Post by Russell Brown »

Will do some pics when the postman delivers.Should be tomorrow.....🤞

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Hi Russell,

I have a little story for you.

It was my bid that you beat in that Korka auction (I was gutted as you can well imagine, but I only had limited funds, so...).
Had I known that this was you trying to complete your collection, I would have been a lot more forgiving of my loss, but as it turned out, It went to a very good home.
And then my surprise when I saw this thread.

After seeing your group photo of relatively rare TJ Harrington fixed spool reels, I totally got why it was so important to you (I only had the Omnia versions). It was a shame the foot had been modified to fit a modern rod seat, but still well worth having (I have a beautifully mint very early Mk3 Mitchell half bail with a similar, though less pronounced modification).

I would occasionally comment to my daughter about how that was one of my greatest ebay losses, and so imagine my amazement when she handed me a box on my birthday containing your Korka, Magnet and Magda; instantly recognisable! (did you sell the bantam?).

I also recognised the nice note you put in with them, as I got a similar note with a reel I got off ebay maybe a year or more before (can't remember what reel it was now, but it's destination was Portland in Dorset).

The whole train of events makes me chuckle each time I think about it.

Just thought I would share that with you, and let you know that they are all in good hands.

If you still have the Bantam, and at any point you decide to sell it, I would like to make you an offer? (might be a bit difficult before Christmas though). Please excuse my presumptuousness (is that a word?)

All the best,

Paul

Russell Howard Brown
Ruffe

Post by Russell Howard Brown »

Rockape wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:43 pm Hi Russell,

It was my bid that you beat in that Korka auction (I was gutted as you can well imagine, but I only had limited funds, so...).
Had I known that this was you trying to complete your collection, I would have been a lot more forgiving of my loss, but as it turned out, It went to a very good home.

After seeing your group photo of relatively rare TJ Harrington fixed spool reels, I totally got why it was so important to you (I only had the Omnia versions). It was a shame the foot had been modified to fit a modern rod seat, but still well worth having (I have a beautifully mint very early Mk3 Mitchell half bail with a similar, though less pronounced modification).

I would occasionally comment to my daughter about how that was one of my greatest ebay losses, and so imagine my amazement when she handed me a box on my birthday containing your Korka, Magnet and Magda; instantly recognisable! (did you sell the bantam?).

I also recognised the nice note you put in with them, as I got a similar note with a reel I got off ebay maybe a year or more before (can't remember what reel it was now, but it's destination was Portland in Dorset).

Just thought I would share that with you, and let you know that they are all in good hands.

If you still have the Bantam, and at any point you decide to sell it, I would like to make you an offer? (might be a bit difficult before Christmas though). Please excuse my presumptuousness (is that a word?)

All the best,

Paul
Hi Paul,All my TJH's have now departed.I've been selling off the vast majority of my collection,most of which are now gone.My attic/fishing room was absolutely rammed with reels that were never going to see the light of day so I think I've sold about 250+.I had some really weird and wonderful reels that I enjoyed collecting but slowly realized that my primary interest was for Centaure and Mepps reels from France.The Mepps reels in particular have the most interesting internal mechanisms,almost OVER engineered with their gears and connecting rods.An absolutely joy of Gallic flamboyance.Have a lovely Christmas.Russ (ShyTangler).

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Russell Howard Brown wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:02 pm
Rockape wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:43 pm Hi Russell,

All the best,

Paul
Hi Paul,All my TJH's have now departed.I've been selling off the vast majority of my collection,most of which are now gone.My attic/fishing room was absolutely rammed with reels that were never going to see the light of day so I think I've sold about 250+.I had some really weird and wonderful reels that I enjoyed collecting but slowly realized that my primary interest was for Centaure and Mepps reels from France.The Mepps reels in particular have the most interesting internal mechanisms,almost OVER engineered with their gears and connecting rods.An absolutely joy of Gallic flamboyance.Have a lovely Christmas.Russ (ShyTangler).
Hi Russ,

Thanks for your response to my post, yes, I completely understand, I have probably 150 or so reels that are packed into clear stacked plastic boxes, and I could well see myself in a similar situation to you in the not too distant future, but my interest in photography has me regularly taking them out for photoshoots and the odd restoration.
I would be reluctant to let some of my Intrepids go, through nostalgia mainly, but who knows? But right now I am just enjoying the (temporary?) ownership of them.

I also have a particular passion for Mepps reels, though I have only just begun that journey, with an early Baby Vamp and a Super Vamp; a Super Meca is just a dream for me at the moment. I'm also partial to the Swiss made Record Marine 400, 500 and Recordette reels.

The Mepps Vamps remind me of the Altex reels, but a bit quirkier, though I cannot comment on which is built better as I have never held an Altex (will have to save my pennies for one of those).

Thanks again for your reply, have a great Christmas.

Return to “Other Reels”