New Reel

The Other Reels forum.
Rod and Annette
Minnow

New Reel

Post by Rod and Annette »

A bit late with this but I thought I'd share some feedback from having met with Garry Mills last summer.

My missus and I participated in a 'Reel Experience' that Garry runs in his workshop in Redditch.

I now live darn' sarf' but in my younger life I lived in Redditch and often stayed in neighbouring Studley with my grandparents fishing the River Arrow. This was my first river I fished and still my favourite.

It was great to hear all of the history around the tackle industry in Redditch. My missus insisted on being the person who took part in the construction of the reel so I chatted all things fishing with Garry throughout the day. He can talk :Hahaha:

Garry's dedication to his art is amazing. He explained that the company who anodize the reel body had not posted the parts for the day so he drove to Manchester to collect them at 3am in the morning to be sure that he made our 9am appointment. We said we could've have rescheduled but he insisted that wouldn't have been right.

I had met with Garry a couple of times leading up to creating the reel and spoke about specification and on these trips he fettled and serviced a Speedia and Young's BJ reels for me.

I'm really chuffed with the result. My missus really enjoyed her time on the tools (she does all of the DIY, I do all of the cooking and fishing!) She even managed to get her name on it.

It's a 4.25" medium drum with adjustable drag and check. I've been using it for trotting (line off the top) and it so smooth.

Garry is a true gent! A great down to earth bloke and Redditch lad like myself. It's very rare to see someone who lives for their work these days.

I would recommend this opportunity to everybody without hesitation.

Rod and Annette
Minnow

Re: New Reel

Post by Rod and Annette »

I'll try to get the pictures on now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

That's a fine reel.
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

That is lovely.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

A unique reel….absolutely beautiful, well done :Hat:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Russell Brown
Rudd

Post by Russell Brown »

Rod and Annette wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:47 am A bit late with this but I thought I'd share some feedback from having met with Garry Mills last summer.

My missus and I participated in a 'Reel Experience' that Garry runs in his workshop in Redditch.

I now live darn' sarf' but in my younger life I lived in Redditch and often stayed in neighbouring Studley with my grandparents fishing the River Arrow. This was my first river I fished and still my favourite.

It was great to hear all of the history around the tackle industry in Redditch. My missus insisted on being the person who took part in the construction of the reel so I chatted all things fishing with Garry throughout the day. He can talk :Hahaha:

Garry's dedication to his art is amazing. He explained that the company who anodize the reel body had not posted the parts for the day so he drove to Manchester to collect them at 3am in the morning to be sure that he made our 9am appointment. We said we could've have rescheduled but he insisted that wouldn't have been right.

I had met with Garry a couple of times leading up to creating the reel and spoke about specification and on these trips he fettled and serviced a Speedia and Young's BJ reels for me.

I'm really chuffed with the result. My missus really enjoyed her time on the tools (she does all of the DIY, I do all of the cooking and fishing!) She even managed to get her name on it.

It's a 4.25" medium drum with adjustable drag and check. I've been using it for trotting (line off the top) and it so smooth.

Garry is a true gent! A great down to earth bloke and Redditch lad like myself. It's very rare to see someone who lives for their work these days.

I would recommend this opportunity to everybody without hesitation.
An absolutely beautiful machine 😎👍

Dave F
Grayling

Post by Dave F »

A great piece of engineering…..
Oh to be at my “Happy Place” where nothing matters but the being there.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Nice one, glad you both had a good day with Gary, a good bloke he is too👍

Wally Roy
Roach

Post by Wally Roy »

Beautiful reel.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Lovely ‘pin, as I’d expect of Gary. I did one of his experience days in 2017, had a wonderful time, ended up with a brilliant ‘pin and learnt more in one day than I’ve ever thought I could!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “Other Reels”