Never lose hope!

The Hardy Rods forum.
Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Never lose hope!

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

About 18 months ago I was discussing rods with a forum friend, Paul F, and he suggested I should look out for a Hardy General. He thought this would suit my type of fishing and provide me with a very versatile rod. So the search began. Then I met Kevin, aka Allrounder, he has two and I have worked on both. I was smitten.
A few weeks back the Fab Four and Grumpy met up on the banks of the Warks Avon and on the way home Bob and I discussed said rod and I said I'd given up hope of finding one.
I phoned Kevin a day or so later to thank him for spending so much time helping and coaching me on the gentle art of chub fishing and the Hardy General again cropped up in conversation.
That evening, disinterested in the TV programme my wife was watching I went on ebay, entered Hardy General in the search box and to my absolute and total surprise there was a listing, "buy it now" and reasonably priced. So without a nanosecond of hesitation, I hit the button!
ImageImageImageImageImage

The rod is in excellent condition, having been owned by an Army officer in the Royal Engineers and I know his name and rank.
The rod was being sold by his daughter in law who kindly provided me with the information.
All the rod needed was a clean and a polish.
This is the first vintage cane rod I've owned with known provenance. I always wonder about the history of rods I've bought, I'm sure I'm not alone in that...
Unfortunately, there wasn't an opportunity to christen the rod this season but rest assured it will be first out the rack in June!
Last edited by Jeremy Croxall on Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Lea Dweller
Pike

Re: Never loose hope!

Post by Lea Dweller »

That looks to be in cracking condition Jeremy, what is the length?
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Looks a beaut JC, much too nice for you.

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Well done that looks a little special.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

:Hahaha:
Dave Burr wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:52 pm Looks a beaut JC, much too nice for you.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Lea Dweller wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:49 pm That looks to be in cracking condition Jeremy, what is the length?
11ft Ted :Thumb:

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

A perfect size, any longer and a lot of cane rods wing wang all over the place.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Fredline wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:02 pm A perfect size, any longer and a lot of cane rods wing wang all over the place.
I quite agree John, this one wings but doesn't wang :Thumb:

AllRounder
Brown Trout

Post by AllRounder »

Well done JC a very useful addition to your collection. The perfect length at eleven foot and all original too.
Let’s hope you manage to christen it with a special fish.

Well found :Hat:

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Great you found something you've been searching for JC. May it bring you much good luck :Hat:

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”