Hardy LRH rods

The Hardy Rods forum.
David
Dace

Hardy LRH rods

Post by David »

Hi all!!
I don't know if this question has come up before, but can anyone tell me please. Which, if any, of the Hardy Split Cane LRH Spinning rods is the strongest i.e. the thickest or most powerful ? :Chuckle: Thanks.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Re: Hardy LRH rods

Post by Paul F »

They did 3 models, no1, 2 & 3, 3 being the most powerful, it is a real brute.

What did you want it for?

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Indeed the number 3 is a beast - steel centered if I remember correctly.

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

They also did a very light 0 and a later LRH Spinning which was similar to the 2.As mentioned the 3 is the strongest.The LRH Spinning is a super rod.I used mine with an ABU Ambassedeur 5000C.A perfect combination.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Having never measured them I can’t speak from first hand experience but a general feeling is that the LRH No1 equates to a test curve of about 1.75 lbs and the No2. About 2.25lbs.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

The LRH 0 was shorter than the others which were 9ft 6in each. It was 8ft 6in according to the 1951 catalogue.
LRH 1 & 2 were the initial ones with the No:3 arriving in 1938.

I have a few LRH 2s and with age and use they vary - but 2lb+ t/c - which I find sufficient for many fish! :Hat:

JAA
Crucian Carp

Post by JAA »

Cat wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:39 pm Indeed the number 3 is a beast - steel centered if I remember correctly.
My LRH 3 was most definitely not steel centred, although it's possible others were. :Hat:

Edit: I measured the t/c of the No.3 at around 3lb, but mine was a little soft, I suspect it had started to delaminate somewhere.

I passed up on a 'Big Game' cane rod at a boot sale a number of years back, about 8', most definitely steel cored. It wasn't that pricey, rather wish I'd bought it.
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

David
Dace

Post by David »

Hi Paul F. As I have collected all the B James rods I needed in my collection, I thought I would have a look at the Hardy rods. I am only interested in more powerful ones as I would use them on larger species, Barbel Carp etc.
Last edited by David on Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David
Dace

Post by David »

Thank you to everyone for the information. I didn't realise quite how many different models they made. Does the LRH denote they are Lure rods or something else ?

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

David wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:16 pm Does the LRH denote they are Lure rods or something else ?
I believe the LRH stands for Laurence Robert Hardy. There is also other Hardy tackle with the LRH name, fly rods and several reels.
Pete

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”