Hardy LRH rods

The Hardy Rods forum.
Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Hardy LRH rods

Post by Olly »

A quick view of ""CATALOGUES - Splitcaneinfo.com"" shows in the Hardy Annual Catalogues the different models from 1937 onwards.

It shows 2 models to start, No:1 & 2 --- upping to Nos:- 1 - 2 - 3 ----- etc.

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

David wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:16 pm Thank you to everyone for the information. I didn't realise quite how many different models they made.

They also made The West Country spinning rod and the Wanless series of spinning rods.Plus more that i have forgotten i expect. :Wink:

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Indeed, I didn't remember correctly (but nothing new there these day)!

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Champ wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:57 pm
David wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:16 pm Thank you to everyone for the information. I didn't realise quite how many different models they made.

They also made The West Country spinning rod and the Wanless series of spinning rods.Plus more that i have forgotten i expect. :Wink:
There are quite a number of different Hardy spinning rods, the Javelin, the Victor (Yates used one at Redmire), the Marksman, the JJH (Yates also used one of these), I imagine there are many more.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

But not LRH rods!

JAA
Crucian Carp

Post by JAA »

I've always suspected that Walker's remark about 'some rods used for carp fishing had the action of a carpet beater' was aimed at the LRH 1/2/3. :Scared:
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

JAA wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:14 am I've always suspected that Walker's remark about 'some rods used for carp fishing had the action of a carpet beater' was aimed at the LRH 1/2/3. :Scared:
I would say that too if I was trying to sell MKIV carp rods :whistle: .
In actual fact the No1 and No2 LRH rods are perfectly suitable for carp. My favourite being the No2.

Another variation on the LRH rods to bear in mind, is the choice of reel fittings and reel mounting position. Some were built with multiplier reels in mind, with the screw reel fitting low down the handle.

Wal.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have only seen a couple with the 'multiplier' winch fitting but of the 6 LRH No:2 rods I have - all pin or fixed spool - no two are exactly the same.

Some have the same colour whipping (mostly red and green colours), some have the same ferrules (stud or no stud), some the same winch fitting (round - hexagonal - chrome - silver), some have the same Corbett tip ring. But no two are exactly the same!

So unlike a pair or trio of modern glass or newer rods!

JAA
Crucian Carp

Post by JAA »

Olly wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:59 pm I have only seen a couple with the 'multiplier' winch fitting but of the 6 LRH No:2 rods I have - all pin or fixed spool - no two are exactly the same.
I've noted that - my preference for the LRHN.2 is for 'Lockfasts', as for a rod that 9'6" to start with, 18" of it behind a fixed reel seat seems more than practical - I imagine it's because it was designed as a salmon spinner, but for carping I prefer as much of the length as I can get.
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I do too - but not on my LRHs - I use them as is and I don't find a problem with it as I am not fishing 75m + from the bank!

Different on my glass rods (as I made most of them) and of course my modern 'black' rods. But then they are built as carp/cat rods with t/c up to 5lb for moggies and 4lb now for carp! With a modern reel 100m+ can be achieved easily.

Strange carping started with about 2lb t/c, rods then it was 2.25lb - then up and up & up - 3lb being about the minimum now.

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”