Hardy LRH rods

The Hardy Rods forum.
Champ
Chub

Re: Hardy LRH rods

Post by Champ »

[quote=Olly .In 1969 only one version remained called 'LRH Spinning' with a casting weight of 1oz.
[/quote]

This was one of my favourite rods.I used it with an ABU Ambassadeur 5000c spinning on the Devon river Axe.A superb combination.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

In 1977 - LRH 2 was still made!

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Champ wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:06 pm [quote=Olly .In 1969 only one version remained called 'LRH Spinning' with a casting weight of 1oz.
This was one of my favourite rods.I used it with an ABU Ambassadeur 5000c spinning on the Devon river Axe.A superb combination.
[/quote]

Do you still have it Champ? I believe the R.Axe had quite a reputation back in the good old days of abundant English salmon?

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

Liphook wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:37 pm
Champ wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:06 pm [quote=Olly .In 1969 only one version remained called 'LRH Spinning' with a casting weight of 1oz.

Do you still have it Champ? I believe the R.Axe had quite a reputation back in the good old days of abundant English salmon?
[/quote]

I had a clear out of rods a few years ago.The LRH Spinning was one of these.Sadly i never came close to an Axe salmon.It was a joy to use the rod and reel on the lower sections of river.Its flow,runs,and pools,suited the style of fishing perfectly.Last i heard the sea trout fishing is still good.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Does anybody know if the detail differences are the maker's specification changing over time or available as options when ordering? For example, the fixed reel fitting v's the locking sliding bands, the use or not of intermediate whippings etc. It seems to me that the rods whipped in red tipped green don't have intermediates. Are these the rods from the last few years of production?
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

A quick look at the Hardy catalogues will enlighten - having 6 X LRH 2s myself none are are identical! Even the reel screw reel locking is made of differing materials and some need a locking tool - others are round and can be screwed down by hand! Some possibly restored are green and red -- in a couple of different shades!

Waynee45
Ruffe

Post by Waynee45 »

Hi all, looking at a LRH 2 on a certain web site and it’s only 9ft long, questioned the seller about the length and he said it was given to him like that many years ago. So my question is how much of a difference would the shortened rod make to its original action, I intend to use the rod for piking. Very new to split cane fishing.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

If each section is the same length - ask for the measurements - and it may show the exact length.
If inches are missing from the tip - it will be slightly more powerful.

I think that a few rods were 'custom' made - with requests from the customer! But most appear to be the same or very similar!

Waynee45
Ruffe

Post by Waynee45 »

Olly wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:50 pm If each section is the same length - ask for the measurements - and it may show the exact length.
If inches are missing from the tip - it will be slightly more powerful.

I think that a few rods were 'custom' made - with requests from the customer! But most appear to be the same or very similar!
Thank you for the info Olly.
Regards
Wayne

Whittles
Stickleback

Post by Whittles »

Hello all,
Please could someone please recommend a suitable centre pin real for a Hardy LRH 1 rod, the rod will be used mainly for Carp fishing, any advice would be greatly apricated.
Many thanks,
Mark

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”