A couple of Aspindales

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: A couple of Aspindales

Post by Nobby »

A week on and the rod tip is finished, indeed the whole rod is ready to fish.

Amazingly, a whipping took on a dark colour from varnish bleed on its 5 th. coat! One that had been fine before on all the other coats. The colour match isn't perfect, but it's close enough for me. The final effect was achieved by three coats of a very clear varnish on the whips and then two coats of Ronseal Outdoor Varnish which has a very strong yellowy-red colour cast to it and it seemed to improve things colour match wise.

The red double tipping, however, is a bit too bright....some you win..........

Here's the entire rod, its old broken tip and a home-made quivertip to go on it. Being hollow-built it's very light and should make a nice roach rod or light trotting rod,

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

Ooh, that is looking very, very nice. Are you going to give it a few weeks for the varnish to properly harden off or do you think you might just get it near the water before then? :)
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

What's all the mushrooms and stuff on the rad ?
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

Good way of drying them out for preserving. Looks like some nice ceps there?
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

Back to the rod :) Is that the Pro Wrap Tiger Thread you mentioned? Or is it some genuine 'jasper'?

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

It is indeed the TWT2002 from Pro Wrap.

The mushrooms are actually decorative....I think they're made of foam. Used to be all hop garlands around the room as well but they held too much dust.

My next trip out has big carp in a private lake in Hampshire.....I shan't risk a hollow-built rod on them, it'll have to be my carbon barbel rod, just in case there's a 20 lb'er in there.

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”