Hawthorne fly (dry tutorial)

This section of the forum is for all you fly tying enthusiasts.
Ian
Eel

Hawthorne fly (dry tutorial)

Post by Ian »

One of my favourite flies for the burn in may.

The Hawthorne fly hatch is as good as the mayfly. When they are on,they are on.
Last edited by Ian on Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Liphook
Barbel

Re: Hawthorne fly

Post by Liphook »

Well done Ian :Thumb:

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Liphook wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:06 pm Well done Ian :Thumb:
Thanks Liphook. I will put it in the wallet for next may. I’ve caught plenty on this pattern👍

Hope alls well :Hat:

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

Very nicely done Ian. I always thought Hawthorn flies were more difficult, but you make it look very simple.

You say the wings on an actual Hawthorn lay flat against the body? Ok, that gives me an idea.

Great tutorial, buddy.

Oh, if this is a dry fly, which I think it is, do NOT put it in the wallet I sent you. It will crush the hackle. Use fly boxes for dry flies, and the wallet for wet flies.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

This SBS series you are producing will be a great resource for the future Ian. As you know I'm a great believer in knowledge not shared being lost. Keep it up mate :Thumb:

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

This SBS series you are producing will be a great resource for the future flyfisher Ian. As you know I'm a great believer in knowledge not shared being lost. Keep it up mate :Thumb:

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Iasgair wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:02 pm Very nicely done Ian. I always thought Hawthorn flies were more difficult, but you make it look very simple.

You say the wings on an actual Hawthorn lay flat against the body? Ok, that gives me an idea.

Great tutorial, buddy.

Oh, if this is a dry fly, which I think it is, do NOT put it in the wallet I sent you. It will crush the hackle. Use fly boxes for dry flies, and the wallet for wet flies.
This is as simple to tie a pattern as they come iasgair,and deadly when the hawthornes are out. Yes the wing lays flat along their body,so for me,I don’t see the point of the wing element of the fly.
Do you have Hawthorne flies in Colo?
Ok I will put it in a box bud👍

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

They say we do have them because of apple shipments. Apparently they like apples. But I have never seen one flying about. I had to Google it to see what they look like.

I understand your idea of no wings, I truly do. And adding something that's not really needed is just extra steps. But what I want to do is just for myself and tying skill.

It is a good looking fly you tied. I have never made legs like that before because I never had a reason to. But that's going to change.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Iasgair wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:07 pm They say we do have them because of apple shipments. Apparently they like apples. But I have never seen one flying about. I had to Google it to see what they look like.

I understand your idea of no wings, I truly do. And adding something that's not really needed is just extra steps. But what I want to do is just for myself and tying skill.

It is a good looking fly you tied. I have never made legs like that before because I never had a reason to. But that's going to change.
You could never mistake the Hawthorne fly iasgair,their back legs hand down lazily.
Oh there's more reason for you to add wings than I have,with your expo appearance. I know I don't need to add them for fish catching purposes.
There are wings on the market that are so realistic that I'm sure there are bluebottle plucking factories somewhere.

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Liphook wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:09 am This SBS series you are producing will be a great resource for the future Ian. As you know I'm a great believer in knowledge not shared being lost. Keep it up mate :Thumb:
Oh you can be sure I won't let the classics fade away Liphook,just like my jokes😁. I've always viewed tying flies as a means to catching fish first and foremost 👍

Return to “Fly Tying”