Allcocks Carp Rods

The Allcocks Rods forum.
St.John
Tench

Allcocks Carp Rods

Post by St.John »

Did allcocks ever make a gold label carp rod? I've seen the later carp superb, but was there a forerunner? I guess that carp fishing only really took off at the time they swapped from gold label to the square label....
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Davyr

Re: allcocks carp rods

Post by Davyr »

No, the Carp Superb was the first dedicated carp rod they made. Having said that, the 8.5' Nimrod (pike/salmon spinner) makes a nice carp stalking rod for tight swims!

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

It's already on my list as a stalker..... Brill. Thanks mate.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

I have the Carp/Avon.Its a later rod with the usual rectangular green and black label.Its later than the Carp Superb,the bag label has a mention of Lee on it though it is an Allcocks rod bag.

The rod has two tops.One has Carp and the other Avon in ink.Presumably the butt section is pretty near the standard MKIV.I have caught Carp to nearly fourteen pounds on the relevant top.It worked very well.Havent tried the Avon top yet.

There may be early rods that werent made for carp fishing that would be good.I had a Sapper Roach version that was surprisingly strong.I reckon that one would have tamed smaller carp without too much trouble.

Some of the very early Allcocks rods had the name in black italics on the butt.The Sapper did.Seems like a transfer of some sort though.Some were un named.They had the Allcocks mark stamped on the brass butt end.Keep an eye open you might come across an oldie that has the Carpy feel.

I dont know of a gold label dedicated Carp rod myself.Ive used a Nimrod for pike fishing.They are nice rods-i had not thought of trying it for carp stalking.Sounds like a good idea :thumb: .

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

champ wrote:I had a Sapper Roach version that was surprisingly strong.
Confusingly, Allcocks also made a fly rod called the Sapper. Every time I've seen a Sapper turn up on eBay, it's been the fly version - I'd love to get my hands on a Sapper Roach!

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

davyr wrote:
champ wrote:I had a Sapper Roach version that was surprisingly strong.
Confusingly, Allcocks also made a fly rod called the Sapper. Every time I've seen a Sapper turn up on eBay, it's been the fly version - I'd love to get my hands on a Sapper Roach!
I used to have a ten foot six three piece Sapper fly rod, which was an out-and-out wet fly rod. I've only ever seen one roach version - a chap was using one on the middle Avon - but it didn't strike me as all that strong, being something akin to a Lucky Strike or Record Breaker. No doubt it would be quite capable of dealing with a decent chub or tench, but rather too feeble to be a serious challenge for a carp or barbel.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Watching an Allcocks "Adonis" barbel rod and a Number 1 Wallis Avon at the moment.

Two questions, is the avon a light rod I could use for trotting andwould the Adonis be a light carp rod I could use for surface fishing?

I doubt if I'll actually buy either of them as I'm sure they will go out of my budget, but you never know.

Thanks in advance guys. :hat:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I think I know both the listings you mention. I seem to recall that both rods are too short, having broken tips.

The No1 should come with two bags and an aluminium tube, but they are frequently mislaid.
There was also a No2 and 3. I did have a scan of the appropriate catalogue entry but it died with an old PC.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

The Adonis will make a good light carp rod. It's got a test curve of arund 1.25lb and will suit lines of around 8lb. I broke mine on a double figure barbel (sheer carelessness on my part, plus some slight delamination in the rod) but have since rebuilt it.

Expect to pay in the region of £60 for one. I paid £35 for mine, but it was a no-namer and I took a bit of a risk. A bit of measuring and detective work has confirmed the identity to my own satisfaction, although it now rejoices in the name of The Lazarus Avon!
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

This may be of interest to some who like to restore rods.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Allco ... 500wt_1146
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”