Where do I start?

This forum is for discussing pike.
BreadFlake
Perch

Where do I start?

Post by BreadFlake »

I've caught 2 Pike in my life and I'd like to start targeting them as the lake by my house holds a decent stamp of them, I saw a few of them last time I was there. I'm not a fan of Lure fishing so I'd like to live/deadbait for them.
I think I'll need a bigger net and I know I'll need some bigger forceps. I'll be keeping the rig simple with just a basic float rig too.

I just don't know about rods and reels. I can't afford a cane rod and top of the line pin due to moving so should I be looking for fibreglass, a spinning rod perhaps? Also, what's a decent yet fairly cheap reel? A Mitchell of some sort maybe?

Edit:
Can I perhaps ask for recommendations on Circle hooks? Also, how do I attach the trace to them?
Last edited by BreadFlake on Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pallenpool
Zander

Re: Where do I start?

Post by Pallenpool »

If you have never fished for pike I’d suggest you tag along with someone who has experience. They are delicate fish. Dead baiting is proven to catch the bigger specimens.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

BreadFlake
Perch

Post by BreadFlake »

I understand your concern and rightly so. I have however unhooked far more than what I have caught. I've been out with people before to learn how to handle them, I just tended to catch the bait lol

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

The only need for a heavy rod is to cast heavy baits, I've caught most of my pike on 1.5 and 2lb test curve rods so a special rod may not be necessary. If you do need one, heavy cane rods are not that popular and are generally quite cheap as are older glass rods. What I suggest is that you need strong line as leaving a pike with hooks in its mouth is a tragedy.

I have also caught many, many fish by wobbling sprats on a single hook, you cover lots of ground, you find the rhythm that suits the day, casting is limited but plenty of fish can be found around the margins. You will get plenty of small fish but every now and then it all gets serious.

Just give it a go and enjoy yourself, you will find that success, when it comes, will bring about a method for you to develop.

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

If cane is not an option there are usually plenty of glass rods on the bay of fleas.Something with a tc of 2 to 2.5lb would be fine unless you are chucking big baits to the horizon.Mine are 2.25lb North Western SS6a and do the job admirably.
As for reels a good 'pin would be one of the Grice & Young models with a wide spool and 4.5" diameter.Again,plenty on the bay.Fixed spool reels,Mitchells in the 300 size and larger and Abu Cardinal 55 and larger would be my choice.Put a wanted post on this site,someone may have what you want.
As Dave Burr states,strong line and a quality brand of trace wire is an absolute must as are good de barbed circle or treble hooks.Welcome to the world of Piking,as you become more experienced the gathering of yet more gear will go on and on!
Hope this helps,
Grumpy.

BreadFlake
Perch

Post by BreadFlake »

Dave Burr wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:13 am The only need for a heavy rod is to cast heavy baits, I've caught most of my pike on 1.5 and 2lb test curve rods so a special rod may not be necessary. If you do need one, heavy cane rods are not that popular and are generally quite cheap as are older glass rods. What I suggest is that you need strong line as leaving a pike with hooks in its mouth is a tragedy.

I have also caught many, many fish by wobbling sprats on a single hook, you cover lots of ground, you find the rhythm that suits the day, casting is limited but plenty of fish can be found around the margins. You will get plenty of small fish but every now and then it all gets serious.

Just give it a go and enjoy yourself, you will find that success, when it comes, will bring about a method for you to develop.
Thanks Dave, I'll only be underhand casting small baits around the margins. Maybe I should look at some glass stepped up Avon/Carp style rods.

I personally like to be lazy when I fish as it's my down time to relax, hence why I'm not to fussed about lure fishing etc. I just enjoy sitting there and taking it all in

BreadFlake
Perch

Post by BreadFlake »

Grumpy wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:45 am If cane is not an option there are usually plenty of glass rods on the bay of fleas.Something with a tc of 2 to 2.5lb would be fine unless you are chucking big baits to the horizon.Mine are 2.25lb North Western SS6a and do the job admirably.
As for reels a good 'pin would be one of the Grice & Young models with a wide spool and 4.5" diameter.Again,plenty on the bay.Fixed spool reels,Mitchells in the 300 size and larger and Abu Cardinal 55 and larger would be my choice.Put a wanted post on this site,someone may have what you want.
As Dave Burr states,strong line and a quality brand of trace wire is an absolute must as are good de barbed circle or treble hooks.Welcome to the world of Piking,as you become more experienced the gathering of yet more gear will go on and on!
Hope this helps,
Grumpy.
Thanks mate, I was of course wondering about reels too. A pin would be nice so I'll keep my eyes out but I do enjoy my Mitchell's.

I won't spare any expense when it comes to line and end tackle, I don't want to be the reason a Pike is trailing around a full rig.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

My local angling club ensures that you are capable to fish for pike - in a 'tackle & handling' check - after which your permit is stamped, without which = No Pike Fishing. Perhaps a bit OTT to some but it does give anglers confidence to fish for them.

The PAC have excellent Guidelines.

The worst damage, sometimes irreparable, is done by late striking/hooking. To be honest I don't strike unless I am spinning. I wind the hooks into the fish with the rod at right angles to the fish, the flexibility of the rod pressurising the hooks into the jaw.

As to suitable cane rods the Hardy LRH 2 or LRH 3 rods are excellent for general use. With 3lb glass rods - I have Conoflex ones - for distance fishing and/or heavy baits. Reels for heavy lines - 15lb for me usually with 18 on some rivers - are also needed. There are many suitable also 'vintage'.

BreadFlake
Perch

Post by BreadFlake »

Olly wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:30 pm My local angling club ensures that you are capable to fish for pike - in a 'tackle & handling' check - after which your permit is stamped, without which = No Pike Fishing. Perhaps a bit OTT to some but it does give anglers confidence to fish for them.

The PAC have excellent Guidelines.

The worst damage, sometimes irreparable, is done by late striking/hooking. To be honest I don't strike unless I am spinning. I wind the hooks into the fish with the rod at right angles to the fish, the flexibility of the rod pressurising the hooks into the jaw.

As to suitable cane rods the Hardy LRH 2 or LRH 3 rods are excellent for general use. With 3lb glass rods - I have Conoflex ones - for distance fishing and/or heavy baits. Reels for heavy lines - 15lb for me usually with 18 on some rivers - are also needed. There are many suitable also 'vintage'.
Thanks Olly, the rod situation has been sorted so I'm just on the look out for a reel too. I think I'll go with some 15lb Daiwa sensor, I use 6lb sensor when feeder fishing for Chub and it's never failed me before

Sussex Micky
Arctic Char

Post by Sussex Micky »

Pallenpool wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:56 am If you have never fished for pike I’d suggest you tag along with someone who has experience. They are delicate fish. Dead baiting is proven to catch the bigger specimens.
I have to agree with every word that Peter has said here, dead baits are a proven option to live baits which i do not personally approve of when piking. mackerel, sardine, sprat...there is an endless choice and all quite deadly. may l also suggest using a large single barbles hook and a fairly early strike once your float moves..you will not miss many and this also stops the dreaded "gut hooking"
good piking :Hat:

Return to “Pike (Esox lucius)”