Where do I start?

This forum is for discussing pike.
Sussex Micky
Arctic Char

Re: Where do I start?

Post by Sussex Micky »

Tizer wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:21 am
Tengisgol wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:25 pm Good pike care is an imperative.

Hope no one takes any notice of that,pike have enough problems at the moment.
absolutely sickening

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Post by Deaf Cat »

Where is Fred when need him? I attended a "pike for beginners" session with him on the Stour.
My first (and only) pike gave me a right scare even though I was targetting them.
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Just for the avoidance of any final doubt, the extract from the 1949 book 'Calling All Coarse Fishers'...is not meant to be taken seriously. The intention was to highlight (with a little humour, in my opinion) the paradox between the author's commentary and how we behave here in 2022, looking after our pike. Even in 1949, the book wasn't intended to be serious...by way of example, the author offers here some further advice on practicing for the landing of pike (with a trigger warning):

To those that may not have seen the intention of irony in the extract and suffered upset that is regretful. I am guessing many would have been similarly shocked by Walker's advice on how to treat swans in 'Drop me a line':

-------------------------------------------------

Now for the serious bit and to get back on topic. You've had some good advice here Breadflake but the only thing I would add is to do some research here on the Forum about best practice with circle hooks. You wind and tighten not strike, and Dave Burr has covered the subject in great detail and with much experience on the subject.

Edit: here is a thread to get you going viewtopic.php?t=23216&hilit=Circle
Last edited by Tengisgol on Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

And here ends the thread - sensibly.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

BreadFlake
Perch

Post by BreadFlake »

Tengisgol wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:58 pm Just for the avoidance of any final doubt, the extract from the 1949 book 'Calling All Coarse Fishers'...is not meant to be taken seriously. The intention was to highlight (with a little humour, in my opinion) the paradox between the author's commentary and how we behave here in 2022, looking after our pike. Even in 1949, the book wasn't intended to be serious...by way of example, the author offers here some further advice on practicing for the landing of pike (with a trigger warning):

To those that may not have seen the intention of irony in the extract and suffered upset that is regretful. I am guessing many would have been similarly shocked by Walker's advice on how to treat swans in 'Drop me a line':

Now for the serious bit and to get back on topic. You've had some good advice here Breadflake but the only thing I would add is to do some research here on the Forum about best practice with circle hooks. You wind and tighten not strike, and Dave Burr has covered the subject in great detail and with much experience on the subject.

Thanks mate, I'll check that out

BreadFlake
Perch

Post by BreadFlake »

Tengisgol wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:58 pm Just for the avoidance of any final doubt, the extract from the 1949 book 'Calling All Coarse Fishers'...is not meant to be taken seriously. The intention was to highlight (with a little humour, in my opinion) the paradox between the author's commentary and how we behave here in 2022, looking after our pike. Even in 1949, the book wasn't intended to be serious...by way of example, the author offers here some further advice on practicing for the landing of pike (with a trigger warning):

Would this be a suitable choice? Just fishing a single hook on a trace

BreadFlake
Perch

Post by BreadFlake »

Apologies to anybody upset by my tongue in cheek comment.
Last edited by BreadFlake on Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Pallenpool wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:06 pm And here ends the thread - sensibly.
Le'ts hope so, thread tidied up. :Hat:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

I don't know about anyone else but when I first read the 'note for pike' I laughed out loud as I thought it very funny. I didn't for one minute that it was meant to be taken seriously.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

BreadFlake
Perch

Post by BreadFlake »

If this thread is still open and active. Can I perhaps change the subject back to the original OP and ask for recommendations on Circle hooks? Also, how do I attach the trace to them?

Thankyou

Return to “Pike (Esox lucius)”