Something isn't right

General fly fishing chat area.
Iasgair
Chub

Something isn't right

Post by Iasgair »

This year the Poudre River has been an enigma. Since the fires two years ago and then followed by a horrific mudslide last summer, the Poudre has been in bad shape fishing wise the last two years. So it's no mystery that the Poudre would be bad fishing . . . below the mudslide.

Two days ago I went into the Lion's Den because I figured that creek was touched by the fire or the slide, being the south fork of the Poudre. I fished that creek for four hours and I was only able to get half the distance I like to go because the creek was running very well making the rocks as slick as grease on a door knob and the brush has grown into a jungle to where you need a chainsaw to get through it. For those four hours all I did was slip and slide and fuss about the whole situation because the Lion's Den wasn't giving up any fish. So I hiked back to the Poudre and fished that, only bringing up one small fish. I met another angler and he said that he wasn't doing good at all. He was casting to areas that you'd know should be holding fish, and he came up with zero. After we went on our ways I headed up river and tried a new area that should have been holding fish. I did manage to make a fish rise, but he went back down. I stood there and wondered why the fish didn't take and then noticed my flies all wound up together. :hairpull:
So I retied my rigging and tried again in vain. I kept moving up river and finally brought out one small fish. Then the lightning was getting close bringing in a bad cloud, so it was time to leave.

Today was not so different. It started off alright, but after about fifteen casts I said out loud; where the heck are all the fish? And then I hooked into a brown. Is that all it takes, to ask stupid questions?

The morning was beautiful and the river was clearer than it has been for a while. Which could be a reason why the fishing has been poor.

I ended up catching a few more fish. I think about six fish was the total for the day.

But I have had better days on that river and this year has been very challenging for some reason. I know this area has been fished more regularly because fishermen have moved up river to where the fish have been. The good news is, when I was fishing the Lion's Den I saw bug life coming back and when I got to my truck an older gentleman was fishing with a spinning rod with a Panther Martin lure and caught a fish on the first cast. So that tells me fish are beginning to move back down river. That is great news! All the river needs is one or two more good runoff season's to help clean it up from the silt and ash and fishing should be back to normal. At least I hope that's all it needs.

The water is going down now and hopefully it doesn't get too low too soon because I still have a few days off work next month to fish.

Also, more good news, this year there have been very few fires and the one's that have happened this year have been put out quickly. Thank God!

This little fishing report sounded much better in my head than what it does right now.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

SkimmingTheCream
Chub

Re: Something isn't right

Post by SkimmingTheCream »

I always enjoy reading the reports from other parts of the angling world especially with photos.
Having searched on-line I also now know what a Panther Martin looks like :Hat:

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Great photos iasgair,and report.
The bug life could be the problem here buddy,or lack of it.
Years ago,after a major flood on the burn,there was no insect life left in the river.All the rocks were scrubbed clean of weed,leaving the clarity of the water akin to looking in an aquarium.I’ve never seen the burn water and rocks looking so clear,it was stunning to look at.Anyway I was lucky to have a spinning reel with me and a mepps spinner and after flogging the water with the fly for a couple of hours and not even seeing a fish move,I decided to try the mepps.What a move it was and I hooked fish after fish.I counted over 70 trout for the Saturday and Sunday I fished.The fish were starving and were attacking the mepp for fun.
I know you are a fly fisherman through and through,but why don’t you try this method,even if it’s just to see how many fish are still there.

Ian
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

Ian wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:33 am Great photos iasgair,and report.
The bug life could be the problem here buddy,or lack of it.
Years ago,after a major flood on the burn,there was no insect life left in the river.All the rocks were scrubbed clean of weed,leaving the clarity of the water akin to looking in an aquarium.I’ve never seen the burn water and rocks looking so clear,it was stunning to look at.Anyway I was lucky to have a spinning reel with me and a mepps spinner and after flogging the water with the fly for a couple of hours and not even seeing a fish move,I decided to try the mepps.What a move it was and I hooked fish after fish.I counted over 70 trout for the Saturday and Sunday I fished.The fish were starving and were attacking the mepp for fun.
I know you are a fly fisherman through and through,but why don’t you try this method,even if it’s just to see how many fish are still there.

Ian
I do have an ultralight spinning rod and reel and it's a fun rod to fish with. I just prefer the challenge of fly fishing and the tradition of it.
But I won't argue that sometimes lures are the way to go.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

We had a similar thing on a small river near me. A natural Cobalt escape killed the micro fauna and the fish disappeared. Only recently have I noticed insect life returning under stones and with them some small fish. I’m sure rivers and streams go through these natural events a few times over the course of their existence.

At least you were out in nature, even if that nature can hide in trees and eat you.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

Marc wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:49 pm We had a similar thing on a small river near me. A natural Cobalt escape killed the micro fauna and the fish disappeared. Only recently have I noticed insect life returning under stones and with them some small fish. I’m sure rivers and streams go through these natural events a few times over the course of their existence.

At least you were out in nature, even if that nature can hide in trees and eat you.
:Hahaha: :Hahaha:

Yes, some of the nature here can do that, but during mid day there's really nothing to worry about, but anything can happen. It's early mornings and evenings is when I have to really be aware around me.

I have noticed bug life slowly returning to the river below the mudslide, but it'll take a few years for it to return the way it was. People are catching a fish here and there as well, so that tells me the fish are returning too, but it's not like it was.
Last edited by Iasgair on Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

Iasgair wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:12 am This year the Poudre River has been an enigma. Since the fires two years ago and then followed by a horrific mudslide last summer, the Poudre has been in bad shape fishing wise the last two years. So it's no mystery that the Poudre would be bad fishing . . . below the mudslide.

Two days ago I went into the Lion's Den because I figured that creek wasn't touched by the fire or the slide, being the south fork of the Poudre. I fished that creek for four hours and I was only able to get half the distance I like to go because the creek was running very well making the rocks as slick as grease on a door knob and the brush has grown into a jungle to where you need a chainsaw to get through it. For those four hours all I did was slip and slide and fuss about the whole situation because the Lion's Den wasn't giving up any fish. So I hiked back to the Poudre and fished that, only bringing up one small fish. I met another angler and he said that he wasn't doing good at all. He was casting to areas that you'd know should be holding fish, and he came up with zero. After we went on our ways I headed up river and tried a new area that should have been holding fish. I did manage to make a fish rise, but he went back down. I stood there and wondered why the fish didn't take and then noticed my flies all wound up together. :hairpull:
So I retied my rigging and tried again in vain. I kept moving up river and finally brought out one small fish. Then the lightning was getting close bringing in a bad cloud, so it was time to leave.

Today was not so different. It started off alright, but after about fifteen casts I said out loud; where the heck are all the fish? And then I hooked into a brown. Is that all it takes, to ask stupid questions?

The morning was beautiful and the river was clearer than it has been for a while. Which could be a reason why the fishing has been poor.

I ended up catching a few more fish. I think about six fish was the total for the day.

But I have had better days on that river and this year has been very challenging for some reason. I know this area has been fished more regularly because fishermen have moved up river to where the fish have been. The good news is, when I was fishing the Lion's Den I saw bug life coming back and when I got to my truck an older gentleman was fishing with a spinning rod with a Panther Martin lure and caught a fish on the first cast. So that tells me fish are beginning to move back down river. That is great news! All the river needs is one or two more good runoff season's to help clean it up from the silt and ash and fishing should be back to normal. At least I hope that's all it needs.

The water is going down now and hopefully it doesn't get too low too soon because I still have a few days off work next month to fish.

Also, more good news, this year there have been very few fires and the one's that have happened this year have been put out quickly. Thank God!

This little fishing report sounded much better in my head than what it does right now.

Return to “General Fly Chat”