Ogden Smith rod, but what is it ?

The Ogden Smith Rods forum.
Old Man River
Eel

Ogden Smith rod, but what is it ?

Post by Old Man River »

I have just taken possesion of an Ogden Smith rod today, when I collected it it was not what I expected and in fact I am really pleased with it , I think it is an earlier O.S and that it is a fly rod, could be easily be wrong in that though as the handle would be a tad long for a fly rod, not a salmon rod as too short and not stout enough , but what do I know about Salmon Rods ? Very little.

Description..

3 piece rod with spare tip section. Cane in top class condition , but really needs a rebuild, could actually be used as is. Has a slight set but that can be sorted easily enough.
Lockfast ferrules
Assembled 9ft 2 inches in length less the missing rubber but cap.
Handle 23 inches long .
Fully lined agate rings throughout .
Clear agate “Tulip’ style tip rings .
Full intermediate whippings ,
No transfer or logo on the cane, Cane scuffed but undamaged on butt section
It has a fixed lower reel fitting “shoe”inscribed “Ogden Smith “ with a two fishing hooks above a fish logo.
Same Logo on the Brass tapered winding check.
Inscribed “Ogden Smith,62 St James St, Picadilly . London SW 1.on the brass butt cap .
Comes in a very tatty O.S rod bag with logo .

Now I am in a quandrary as to what to do with this rod. It would make a lovely short Avon style float rod with the handle adapted to take a couple of sliding reel bands ,and high bells fitted .

Do I rebuild as is , using the original fittings ?
The problem with that is I would not use it as I find the reel position very uncomfortable .

Any suggestions as to which OS rod it is gratefully recieved , also , is it a collectors piece, or just a run of the mill rod.Do I rebuild as is or adapt to my own specs etc etc.

I would suggest it was a more expensive rod when manufactured due to the quality of the fittings and line guides , which incidentally are all fly rod sized .

No idea what to do myself. Its a nice problem to have though . :Hat:

David
Last edited by Old Man River on Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Pallenpool
Zander

Re: Ogden Smith rod, but what is it ?

Post by Pallenpool »

Message sent👍
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Message recieved 👍

David

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

Hi Dave

why not slip another winch band on before you fit another butt cap . ? that should give you an Avon.

i don't have a clue as to it's identity , but it's a nice thing .

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

David, why not just move the fixed bottom fitting up to where it is comfortable - only 4 screw holes away!

I have done that on one of mine as it keeps the original parts together.

Possibly a universal fly/spinning rod. According to old catalogues there were a few made by various makers.

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

I have sort of made my mind up what to do with it , in fact it is what Olly ( and Pallenpool ) suggested. Use the original lower reel shoe fitting, but replace it further up the handle . The handle will need reducing in diameter a bit as the reel band wont go far enough up the handle to be in a comfortable position, but that is not a problem.

I am going to replace the agate inters with low bridge rings,and perhaps add another ring ,I may just “adjust” the ring spacings a little to suit its use. I have a nice agate low bridge butt ring that will complement the rod, leave the tulip tip eye in place . I found a nice sized rubber butt cap to fit the rod, not sure if I will us it or make a turned Oak or Mahogany one yet .

After cleaning up the ferrules to put the rod together there was a slight knock on the butt section ferrule, it is a nickel silver lockfast , and the knock was where the female ferrule had loosened over the years, so I have removed it after sorting the pin. I will re seat it in due course. The cane is a lovely honey colour underneath the age old varnish, I am going to use Danish oil on the blank when I get that far along .

The original glue is now quite fragile and I think perhaps the tapered winding check and other ferrules will need reseating as well, but those are job for another day .

My plan was to leave this as a “work in progress “ until winter comes, but sometimes you get an itch and just have to scratch it a little.

David

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Just looking for an Ogden Smith catalogue and cannot find one!

However looking at a Hardy 1934 catalogue it states 'The ''Tulip'' agate end ring for spinning rods'. Perhaps the OS is just that a spinning rod which makes it more ideal for use as a twin tipped coarse rod than a fly rod I would think?

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Could be Olly, There does not seem to be a lot of info re O.S rods available, no brochures etc , strange as they are good quality cane and very well made. Not a cheap rod in their day I believe .

I have heard that there is a chap on the classic fly rod forum that has a bit of info on OS rods, I think he is called Afghantrout or something similar .

Tulip Tip rings are not uncommon, but they are increasingly hard to find these days.

I have two now :Chuckle:

David

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Well I have quite a few - - all attached to rods! Allcocks and Hardys mostly!

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Olly wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:03 pm Well I have quite a few - - all attached to rods! Allcocks and Hardys mostly!
Thats just greedy :Chuckle:

David .

Return to “Ogden Smith Cane Rods”