Muddler Minnows!

General fly fishing chat area.
Santiago
Wild Carp

Muddler Minnows!

Post by Santiago »

These are the first muddler minnows that I've ever tied. I don't have any turkey tail feathers so I used the mystery feathers (Kestrel) for the tails and pheasant tail feathers for the wings. They're on size 8 and 10 hooks.

They don't look much like the muddler minnows in two of my fly tying books but the two in the books look don't look like each other either! Anyways, I'm sure they'll catch a few perch out, even though their heads are a wee big. Something to work on!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Ian
Eel

Re: Muddler Minnows!

Post by Ian »

They are spot on Santiago.I can see the sea trout having a liking for them,and the perch of courseđź‘Ť
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

I really like how you are trying new patterns and not being intimidated by them.

Well done.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Cheers both! Thanks for your kind comments!

Hemingway

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I wouldn't worry what its made from - especially if it catches!

As a 14 year-old I was given a fly line, silk, so gave it a go using a solid fibreglass spinning rod, but cannot remember the reel though. But the flies I do remember - a few bits of horse hair from an old chair wrapped around a hook. I ventured to the Mole in West Molesey and had an exceptional day of catching 6-8in chub one after the other on this concoction. Just cast and dragged back - absolutely no finesse!

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I couldn't agree more Olly. I remember one trip with my son and he was using his own tyed pheasant tail nymph and the more tatty it got as he caught grayling, the more and more fish he caught, and by last light there wasn't much of it left but he still kept on catching.

Hemingway

Sussex Micky
Arctic Char

Post by Sussex Micky »

Lovely job trevor..when i use to fish for Trout many years ago, l always found the muddler minnow deadly..these are fine :Hat:

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Santiago wrote: ↑Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:43 am I couldn't agree more Olly. I remember one trip with my son and he was using his own tyed pheasant tail nymph and the more tatty it got as he caught grayling, the more and more fish he caught, and by last light there wasn't much of it left but he still kept on catching.
Just goes to prove that most commercial flies are there to catch the angler not the fish!
When learning to fly fish I used to practice my casting on the river Yare as it was only a stones throw from the house. A bloodworm imitation, after a few casts into the bushes and the fence behind, looked more like a piece of red wool impaled on a hook but the Dace loved it.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

I used to catch chub and dace in the Ember (tributary of the Mole) on my own feather and thread concoctions. A very basic black and peacock spider was as good as anything.
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

MWithell wrote: ↑Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:49 am I used to catch chub and dace in the Ember (tributary of the Mole) on my own feather and thread concoctions. A very basic black and peacock spider was as good as anything.
Down by the police grounds in Molesey.?
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Return to “General Fly Chat”