T”will be a while afore it sees a fly cast perfectly to the rising Trout.

General fly fishing chat area.
Old Man River
Eel

T”will be a while afore it sees a fly cast perfectly to the rising Trout.

Post by Old Man River »

Took a stroll up the road to a local Reservoir this morning ,a local fly fishing club have the fishing rights. Not too long ago they had trouble with organised poaching on a grand scale which virtually emptied the place of any Rainbow not cute enough to avoid capture .

The club spent a good deal on re stocking .

And now this .

I have seen this reservoir low many times, but never this bad,the photos do not justice as to how much water has vanished. I know that the fish will survive as there is still more than enough to sustain the stocked population,but I think it will be a while before things are back to normal.

David
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

BreadFlake
Perch

Re: T”will be a while afore it sees a fly cast perfectly to the rising Trout.

Post by BreadFlake »

It's the lack of rain, it's terrible. Father-in-law works for Yorkshire water and during the recent heatwave the reservoir levels were at a very worrying level, there were talks of a hosepipe ban

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

As usual, the hosepipe ban will be in force as soon as the reservoirs are full again. :Chuckle:

Wal.

BreadFlake
Perch

Post by BreadFlake »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:40 pm As usual, the hosepipe ban will be in force as soon as the reservoirs are full again. :Chuckle:

Wal.
Sounds about right :Hahaha:

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

On the same note, for anyone who has not seen it, take a look at lake mead in the USA, thats at a scary level.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

I called on the United Utilities and others to bring in a hosepipe ban back in March, we could see what was coming, it’s a disgrace with huge loses through leaking popes. Again shareholders’ interests first.

BreadFlake
Perch

Post by BreadFlake »

Martin James wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:07 pm I called on the United Utilities and others to bring in a hosepipe ban back in March, we could see what was coming, it’s a disgrace with huge loses through leaking popes. Again shareholders’ interests first.
I know he's old but I was unaware of the pope's incontinence :Hahaha:

Homer Simpson
Grayling

Post by Homer Simpson »

25% of that reservoir’s water didn’t reach the consumer.
I blame OFWAT and their political masters entirely.

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

IL Pape mi amigo.

Fatty will soon be a Papal Knight at this rate. Cardinals are already having chats with the Mole, for it is he, about the viability of making pies sanctified by recognising the restorative power they possess.

Faith, Hope, Charity and Pies..has a neo religious veracity. The Church must move with the times. If pies were given out to those who attend mass, Fatty would go five times a day!

As for the debacle on water supplies.....well. Perhaps if the share holders and investors in all the utilities were to forego dividends by insisting the iniquitous amount paid out would be reinvested in the Victorian Infrastructure in dire need of replacement and making sure it goes where needed. Not trousered by the grasping executives of said companies.

Will that ever happen?

Let's put it this way, Fatty has more chance of being made a Papal Knight by his mate the Pope!

Arise Sir Fatty.

As ever,..

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

BoltonBullfinch wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:55 pm On the same note, for anyone who has not seen it, take a look at lake mead in the USA, thats at a scary level.

Thanks
BB
It is scary. The Colorado River here in Colorado is doing just fine, but as it travels the water from the river gets pulled by farmers for irrigation and this year they are irrigating more because of the drought.

Where the Colorado River starts it had normal snowpack for the winter, but on the way through the Western Slope and through Utah, snow wasn't as much. This has been going on for a few years. Where I live, we seem to be getting our snow late in the season, actually in early Spring. It's like Mother Nature is making up for no snow during the winter. So with less snow on the west side of Colorado and Utah, along with the farmers irrigating more often these past years, Lake Mead is in terrible shape. It's a deep lake, and now they are finding things like cars at the bottom of it.

This huge lake is almost gone and the weather needs to change so it gets the water from the snow that it needs to refill itself. It's just getting hotter here and more humid. We are considered a dry state, but with the migration to Colorado that's been going on for the last few years, we are getting more humid because people with new houses watering their lawns. As a kid, 13% humidity was a high humid day. And when the sun set it got cooler instantly. It used to get into the 50's F. at night, but these days, I have seen it at 4am 65*F or more. That's not good.

Many rivers on the Western Slope have gone into fishing regulations to fish either early in the day or late in the evening because the water is getting too warm for the trout.

It's happening all over the world and I'm afraid it's too late to do anything about it.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Return to “General Fly Chat”