copper wrapping wire

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Gilbert
Rudd

copper wrapping wire

Post by Gilbert »

when i rebuilt my 500 i removed the copper wrapping . belatedly i realise that was a bad idea , and now i want to do the rod again with reinstated copper wire .

can anyone tell me what gauge i need and if possible where i can buy some ---do Chapmans still have stock ???

G

Paul F
Sea Trout

Re: copper wrapping wire

Post by Paul F »

Fine copper wire from fly tying suppliers, you want a nice dark copper colour, some are quite bright, although it will dull down when you varnish

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Look at Craft Wire - I use different colours when prawning for salmon.

Various thicknesses to suit - -

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

thanks fellas --- any idea in mm ? 0.25mm ish ??

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Sewingmachinesales also do metallic wraps.ImageImage
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

Fredline wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:44 pm Sewingmachinesales also do metallic wraps.ImageImage
that's handy to know
thanks Fred
G

Barbelbonce
Rudd

Post by Barbelbonce »

Are the metallic threads advertised by sewingmachinesales actually copper, or metalised thread?
I once tried some of the latter and had trouble: if any of the twist slightly un-twisted(!), there was left the dark line of the core thread. This was very noticeable in the finished whipping. It was probably just that particular thread......
I went immediately over to very fine copper wire, used for re-winding small motors etc. I did know the dia, but have forgotten it. If anyone has curiosity, I will be able to find out - but not until Sunday at best.

BTW, I am surprised to hear of copper whipping on a 500. but "resto-mods" are not necessarily a bad thing. See my Chapman 500 post, following.
Mike

OldRod
Grayling

Post by OldRod »

Hi Gilbert. Where WAS the copper wire on your 500?
At the end of the game, the pawn and the King go back into the same box........

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Old transformers, electro magnets and solenoids are a great source of copper wire. I stripped an old shake- to- charge flash light and obtained about 1000 feet of suitable copper wire.
If a long length of the wire is doubled up and well twisted with an electric drill it produces the perfect twisted copper found on most of the old Chapman, Hardy and Sharpes rods.
Heres an example of it on a J S Sharpe.

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

OldRod wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:04 pm Hi Gilbert. Where WAS the copper wire on your 500?
it was above the male butt ferrule , and on the female sides of the others + the lower leg of the butt ring. .

it was only the second cane rod i did . i wanted to move the butt ring to accommodate a 7 ring pattern, and in my ignorance decided that old fashioned wire had to go . my education has progressed somewhat since then.
it has some medium nasty black stain which further reduced my enthusiasm for keeping authenticity.

now of course i know it is a very early rod . pre gold label , and a very fine bit of cane - stains not withstanding.
i will change the wraps back to to the original green , and omit the inters , but keep the 7 ring format which works very well. and reinstate the copper wraps as they were originally .i will also stain the blank a few shades darker which will make the staining a little less obvious . i won't attempt to remove them as they are part of the rods' history.

as for the rod itself it behaves much more like a baby MKIV than an Avon . it;s a nice thing and perfect for a swingtip.
G

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”