Octofloat(s) like buses

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
Gilbert
Rudd

Octofloat(s) like buses

Post by Gilbert »

this is nuts
Ive been looking for an Octofloat for resto for ages . saw a nice de luxe today for £55 buy it now . at that price i did . the pics were horrid but playing about on the laptop said it was a fine specimen with just a small bit of decal damage which i can fix.

1/2 hour later there is another Sealey which looked like an Octo . the pics were even more horrid but just about visible with the laptop is the legend Octofloat . another good one with perfect decals . mine for £30 . not a de luxe this one but a few years older

2 potentially very good Octos for £85 ? i call that a bargain , but i don't need any more float rods now !

Catfish.017
Eel

Re: Octofloat(s) like buses

Post by Catfish.017 »

I looked at the £55 one too, particularly as it has the original red/green twist whippings. As you say the pics were poor and I was concerned about possible delamination on the mid section? Could be prominent glue lines or even my equally poor eyesight!

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Can anyone PLEASE post a picture from the catalogue showing a Octofloat deluxe

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

Catfish.017 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:29 pm I looked at the £55 one too, particularly as it has the original red/green twist whippings. As you say the pics were poor and I was concerned about possible delamination on the mid section? Could be prominent glue lines or even my equally poor eyesight!
i was surprised nobody grabbed it . delam is not a problem........and it is the version i wanted . the handle is scruffy and may be replaced .

the second rod is a bit earlier with Garnet wraps. with a good handle . original tip and butt rings look ok on both rods

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

I am constantly amazed by the dismal quality of many photos posted on the auction sites. With any fairly modern camera or mobile phone camera, it is hard NOT to take a reasonable photo. Blurred images immediately make me suspicious. So I am probably missing out on some real bargains!

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

Banksy wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:19 am I am constantly amazed by the dismal quality of many photos posted on the auction sites. With any fairly modern camera or mobile phone camera, it is hard NOT to take a reasonable photo. Blurred images immediately make me suspicious. So I am probably missing out on some real bargains!
'tis true ----------but a laptop can usually sort the wheat from the chaff.

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

Barbelseeker wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:49 pm Can anyone PLEASE post a picture from the catalogue showing a Octofloat deluxe
i can post a guide chart if that helps

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

What I am after is the manufacturers pamphlet or sales book detailing the "De-luxe" cannot seem to find one.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Barbelseeker wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:48 pm What I am after is the manufacturers pamphlet or sales book detailing the "De-luxe" cannot seem to find one.
I hope this helps, Sir ...

The Octofloat de Luxe is listed in the "Edgar Sealey Fishing Equipment 1964 Price List" without illustration, so the best I can offer is this from the "Sealey Fishing Manual 1967" ...

... and it is the only cane rod which survives into the "Sealey Fishing Manual 1968" ...

... and the "Sealey Fishing Catalogue 1969" ...

How much longer it survived, if it did, I cannot help with.

((A small pedantic point ... I preferred it when it was called "de Luxe" ... and not "De Luxe" !!! My French Master at Ashby de la Zouch Boys Grammar School would NOT have approved of the change !!! :Wink: ))
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Thank you - it certainly does.

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”