any info on this rod would be gratefully received on ebay at present
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/milwards-spli ... 337cc846e0

regards

bjp

SeanM
Tench

Re: milwards floatrover

Post by SeanM »

It looks to have had a set of replacement (not new) rings fitted and the rings on the tip have been turned to counter a slight set. I've not handled a Floatrover, but if the cane in in good condition then it will be a nice rod.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Bjp
Chub

Post by Bjp »

thank you sean i though the tip section looked odd i have messaged the seller lets see what he says

regards

bjp

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

There's a Floatrover for auction as part of a lot with a Swimversa at Mullock's apparently ... described as "Milward’s Float Rover 11’ 3 pc split cane river rod red agate butt & tip guides speckled red whipped high intermediaries bronze ferrules 17” cork handle alloy reel fits good in MOB "

http://www.mullocksauctions.co.uk/lot-1 ... _3_pc.html
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

In the 1956 Milwards catalogue the Floatrover is only offered at the one length, that of 11 feet, unusual for this maker.

Built in all split cane, with three piece construction and intended for general purpose work, the action comes well down into the rod to assist casting.

This is their way of saying it's a 'through-action' rod.

Unfortunately the catalogue doesn't have an image, but I'd be surprised if the rod originally had 5 intermediate rings on the tip section like that. It always worries me when a restorer has changed something and not told you why. Did he do it to position a ring over some damage, or did he just like the look of it?

It does indeed appear to have been turned before re-whipping. Nothing wrong with that per se, but if you've stripped a rod to bare cane prior to a full re-build, why not straighten the cane out as well....it'd take five minutes.

I can't believe this restorer, who has re-built more rods than I've had hot dinners, doesn't know how to do it....so why didn't he? It does seem that his work ethos is more about volume than perfection...

I do wish he'd return to the forum again and let us know his thoughts.

Bjp
Chub

Post by Bjp »

AshbyCut wrote:There's a Floatrover for auction as part of a lot with a Swimversa at Mullock's apparently ... described as "Milward’s Float Rover 11’ 3 pc split cane river rod red agate butt & tip guides speckled red whipped high intermediaries bronze ferrules 17” cork handle alloy reel fits good in MOB "

http://www.mullocksauctions.co.uk/lot-1 ... _3_pc.html
strange i can see it through your link but can't find the on-line catalouge on the mullock website, can you point me in the right direction

regards

bjp

Bjp
Chub

Post by Bjp »

Nobby wrote:In the 1956 Milwards catalogue the Floatrover is only offered at the one length, that of 11 feet, unusual for this maker.

Built in all split cane, with three piece construction and intended for general purpose work, the action comes well down into the rod to assist casting.

Unfortunately the catalogue doesn't have an image, but I'd be surprised if the rod originally had 5 intermediate rings on the tip section like that. It always worries me when a restorer has changed something and not told you why. Did he do it to position a ring over some damage, or did he just like the look of it?

It does indeed appear to have been turned before re-whipping. Nothing wrong with that per se, but if you've stripped a rod to bare cane prior to a full re-build, why not straighten the cane out as well....it'd take five minutes.

I can't believe this restorer, who has re-built more rods than I've had hot dinners, doesn't know how to do it....so why didn't he? It does seem that his work ethos is more about volume than perfection...

thank you again nobby

i'm beginning to think that buying any rod from ebay is fraught with danger i know i will pay more from a dealer but i should get what i pay for then i'm guessing.

that is the type of rod i am looking for though nothing to long but a general purose rod mainly for float fishing.

regards

bjp

Bjp
Chub

Post by Bjp »

well i have just had a message back from him, fair play quick response and he says,

"it is straight with no faults"

regards

bjp

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

bjp wrote:
Nobby wrote:In the 1956 Milwards catalogue the Floatrover is only offered at the one length, that of 11 feet, unusual for this maker.

thank you again nobby

i'm beginning to think that buying any rod from ebay is fraught with danger i know i will pay more from a dealer but i should get what i pay for then i'm guessing.

that is the type of rod i am looking for though nothing to long but a general purose rod mainly for float fishing.

regards

bjp

It can be...I took delivery of a rod myself today...didn't like the look of the bend at a repaired ring. Slipped off the silk and ring and found the sellotape holding a broken tip section together.

Other times it's been OK, but the bad ones are starting to out-number the good ones this year !

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

Nobby wrote: Other times it's been OK, but the bad ones are starting to out-number the good ones this year !
Maybe most of the good ones have already found their way into our collections? :wink:

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”