Where to start?

This forum is for discussing carp.
BreadFlake
Perch

Where to start?

Post by BreadFlake »

So after last night's excursion in which the sighting of a hidden beast filled my mind with wonder and occupied my dreams, I feel the need to get out for a few hours tomorrow and chase a shadow. The only problem is I've never targeted Carp.

I'll be using a Chapman's 500 coupled with a Mitchell 300 loaded with 6lb line. My choice of bait will be breadflake over mashed bread, I owe that idea to Wanderer who suggested it after seeing many people feeding it to the resident birdlife.

Now, what do I do regarding rigs and bite indication?

I was thinking either freelining or alteast an SSG or two just to pin down the line, would this work? Regarding indication though I'm unsure, I have both swing-tips and quivertips or should I just watch the line? I don't own alarms and never will.

Catfish.017
Eel

Re: Where to start?

Post by Catfish.017 »

Personally I feel a swing tip or quiver tip has no place on the end of a cane rod. I like to watch the line if it's not windy. Sometimes I will touch leger but frequently I will use a 'dough bobbin.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

According to some on here, all you have to do is bung some boilies out with one on your hair then fall asleep. Satisfaction guaranteed :roll:

A breadpaste bobbin between the first and second rings is my suggestion. Placing it between the first ring and the reel can end up with it sticking and getting mashed into your spool. Don't be afraid of loading up with some heavier line, leaving a fish with trailing line after getting snagged is never good for the fish.

I hope you succeed.

BreadFlake
Perch

Post by BreadFlake »

I wholeheartedly refuse to use boilies, I much prefer natural and supermarket baits for all my fishing.

I like the idea of using bread for an indicator, especially as I can adjust to the wind conditions. Thanks for that.

JAA
Crucian Carp

Post by JAA »

BreadFlake wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:22 am I wholeheartedly refuse to use boilies, I much prefer natural and supermarket baits for all my fishing.

I like the idea of using bread for an indicator, especially as I can adjust to the wind conditions. Thanks for that.
Carp really like cooked whole hemp and will spend ages picking over the bottom for it - fish bread over that! This is one of my few non-supermarket baits.

Don't forget the float if you're close in, even something as simple as a cork-ball threaded on the line or even a matchstick with a bit of red indelible pen on it, fished flat.
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I'd fish bread flake under a nice float, like a waggle, with it set a bit over depth so the bread is just slightly wafting an inch off bottom. Don't over pinch the bread, you want it to be buoyant.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

BreadFlake
Perch

Post by BreadFlake »

JAA wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:36 am
BreadFlake wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:22 am I wholeheartedly refuse to use boilies, I much prefer natural and supermarket baits for all my fishing.

Carp really like cooked whole hemp and will spend ages picking over the bottom for it - fish bread over that! This is one of my few non-supermarket baits.

Don't forget the float if you're close in, even something as simple as a cork-ball threaded on the line or even a matchstick with a bit of red indelible pen on it, fished flat.
Regarding the float, how would the lift method suffice? There's some bullrush at one end of the canal I could fish by, although I'd possibly have to step up my line bs.

BreadFlake
Perch

Post by BreadFlake »

Santiago wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:41 am I'd fish bread flake under a nice float, like a waggle, with it set a bit over depth so the bread is just slightly wafting an inch off bottom. Don't over pinch the bread, you want it to be buoyant.
Funny you say that, when you suggest overdepth, do you mean like you would use the lift method for Tench?

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Breadflake you may well be chasing shadows if it's a canal you're fishing. Your Carp could be miles away today! However if there's some cover nearby like the Bulrushes ? you mention and maybe some permanently moored boats, then possibly the Carp will hang around the area. Does it have boat traffic?

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

If if really is a beast I'd be rethinking the 6lb line before even attempting a cast. It's disrespectful to undergun :Hat:

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”