Christening the Findale.

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
Catfish.017
Eel

Christening the Findale.

Post by Catfish.017 »

My boot sale haul of a month ago included a Findale No1 12' aluminium and fibreglass float rod. It had been overshadowed rather by the Roy Marlow Persuader I'd bought on the same day and which I took an immediate shine to. The Findale needed very little work, just easing of the brass ferrules but when I assembled it and gave it a bending I wasn't particularly immpressed, the mid section appeared rather stiff with its stepped tapers. So I put it to one side but on view in the garage. I looked at it several times over the weeks, it's appearance appealed to me particularly its relative slimness compared to similar glass rods. So today I resolved to give it a chance to further impress.
There is a little pool in Barton under Needwood, the fishing controlled by the Parish Council. About an acre or so, quite shallow but nicely coloured by a healthy stock of modest sized Carp. I hadn't included it in my list of waters to try any time soon until I heard there were Crucians present. It leapfrogged to the top of the list and last Sunday I gave it a go. Local knowledge pointed me to one bank favoured by my target species and happily the moderate breeze was angling into it.
Four hours later I had nine Crucians to a pound and the same number of Brown Goldfish to two pounds. Several Carp put in an appearance, two three pounders landed along with some half decent Roach. In truth I felt it was a bit 'easy' but today decided it would be the ideal place to try the rod out.
As often happens the fish were nowhere near as obliging today. I fished the same swim to begin with but the breeze was totally opposite to last time. A small Rudd was the first fish to fall to the rod, no test really but soon after it took on quite a curve. I thought it might be one of the Brownies but a nice Tench eventually surfaced, a Male around two pounds. Two nice Crucians came at intervals with Roach in between but by lunchtime all was quiet.
I decided to move to the opposite bank facing the wind, hoping the fish had followed it. Here I had a run of nice Roach with one nudging a pound. I also hooked two 'Torpedos', the hook pulling on both. All fish came to Breadflake with mashed bread for feed.

ImageImageImageImage

All in all I'm well pleased with the way the rod performed and I've suspended my prejudices for the time being. It's a very nice rod in the hand, it only weighs ten ounces and has reasonable balance. It didn't feel out of its depth with the Carp bending it, in fact it put me in mind of my B&W CTM 12A which again is quite a 'tippy' rod? I think it will see quite a bit of use particularly on the canal.

Liphook
Barbel

Re: Christening the Findale.

Post by Liphook »

Sounds like a very good find Catfish and some nice crucian and tench fishing to christen it! I'll not tell you what I'd do with the brown goldfish though! :Hat:

EricW
Perch

Post by EricW »

I had no idea they used ally to make rods. I wouldn't have thought it was springy enough. I was recently gifted an Apollo Taperflash which I assumed was steel but will now have to endure the magnet test because I was very surprised out how light it was. Some nice fish there too. :Hat:
These are the Golden Years. Don't waste them.

Here are some of our fishing films that you may enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUkLb ... -bz8H_vr7A

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Liphook wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 4:12 am Sounds like a very good find Catfish and some nice crucian and tench fishing to christen it! I'll not tell you what I'd do with the brown goldfish though! :Hat:

I know where you're coming from Liphook and I fished a small club water in Wales where it was policy to kill them without exception. However the ones I caught last Sunday (strangely absent yesterday?) were beautiful looking fish and I think I would have found myself hard put to do the deed.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

EricW wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:47 am I had no idea they used ally to make rods. I wouldn't have thought it was springy enough. I was recently gifted an Apollo Taperflash which I assumed was steel but will now have to endure the magnet test because I was very surprised out how light it was. Some nice fish there too. :Hat:
Eric, the Taperflash is indeed made of steel, the idea possibly stemming from the use of tank aerials for rods post war. The aluminium, which apparently has a wall thickness of 12 thousandths of an inch does flex reasonably well though I could imagine it 'folding' under extreme pressure. There is a post on here by John Harding regarding these rods which is quite informative.

EricW
Perch

Post by EricW »

👍
These are the Golden Years. Don't waste them.

Here are some of our fishing films that you may enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUkLb ... -bz8H_vr7A

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”