Jas. Aspindale ... irresistable.

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Jas. Aspindale ... irresistable.

Post by AshbyCut »

I stumbled across this rod on a certain site ... Buy it Now ... and despite less than perfect photos I decided (almost instantly) to take a punt.

It's a 12ft. rod with a whole cane butt and centre sections, and a whole cane spliced to split cane tip. The inscription and whippings looked typically Aspindale ... there's no model name ... and I couldn't remember seeing one of this type by this maker before.

A chat with Wal pointed me in the right direction however, with a link to the invaluable inthenetuk/com website... and I'm sure now that winging it's way to me is a Jas. Aspindale No. 913 match rod, circa 1953/4. ((Scroll down to the 7th listed rod.))

http://www.inthenetuk.com/pages/Vintage ... indale.asp

Here are the photos that made me think it would make a super crucian/tiddler snatcher rod. I will post better photographs when it arrives ... I'm hoping to collect it rather than trust to couriers !!!!

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Re: Jas. Aspindale ... irresistable.

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Looks interesting Mal and in good order judging by the photos.
Look forward to hearing of your further deliberations when it's to hand. :Thumb:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have two with identical format but 2 sections and 11ft! Mine is named with Aspindale Avon.
I accidently caught a 4lb chub on mine and it handled the fish. As said - ideal for crucians.

My 12ft version called Avon 2 is also similar but has the middle joint whole cane/spliced whole cane. Tip split cane.

It seems from the variety of rods made by Aspindales that many were either built to order - - - or they experiment a lot!

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Mal,
The reference pictures of the 913 has some anomalies, in my opinion. It states the rod as being of 1953, yet it shows the rod bag of the earlier Brothers era, 1945-1949. I would say that the rod in the reference is from that earlier period.
It will be interesting see if your rod, when it arrives, does have James Aspindale written on it, as I suspect it may not and will be from earlier period. I hope that all makes sense!
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Does anyone know if Aspindale Bros ever produced catalogues? I am assuming not and could this explain why there are so many anomalies associated with model types?
If they weren't tied to producing rods to catalogue specs they could pretty much do whatever suited them and perhaps subject to availability of components?
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Bob Brookes wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:55 pm I hope that all makes sense!
Perfect sense Bob, Sir ... as usual.

I'm collecting the rod tomorrow morning ... so will post better photos.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

I reckon it may be a twin of a 12’ Aspindale that I picked picked up last week, but mine just has ‘Aspindale’ inscribed on it.

I hope you like the feel of it more than I do. At that length it is heavy in the hand!
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Rod safely collected ... and I'm a happy boy.

It's in original condition with all the correct whippings, and the 'period white ceramic butt and tip guides. There's a slight 'droop' in the tip. but as it's the same age as I am (give or take a couple of years more) I can sympathise entirely !!!

It weighs in at exactly 13 ounces (368gr), and the handle is a little on the short side by 'modern' standards at 21 inches (53.3cm) including metalwork and button ... so it does feel a little 'nose heavy. I'm sure that when a reel is mounted it will help balance it ... and perhaps the 6 inch Wal crafted handle extension may help too.

Bob, Sir ... you were on the button. As my photos show the inscription is simply "Aspindale's. Manor Works. Redditch."

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Well bought Mal.
The one I have was marked up as James Aspindale, but it was earlier from the Brothers era. Like yours it was absolutely original except for butt rubber button. If it had been correctly described it would have had more interest, whereas I nicked it for a song. Happy days both of us I say!

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I wonder if that rod is actually Spanish reed and not whole cane? The nodes look very bulbous and uneven, in the way of reed.

The 'A' of Aspindale looks a lot like Jimmy Aspindale's writing but the rest looks a little less his style.

I imagine it is a roach rod for casting with the reel below the wrist, which probably balances it better if you can get on with the style.

'inthenet' was created by Adrian Gay, who at that time resided in Switzerland. It is made from listings lifted from sites like eBay, complete with text which is why it sometimes reads as though items are for sale there.

I first got interested in the site as it was a source of some original livery photos at a time when anglers were just starting to 'do rods up' and I was worried we might never know how they had originally looked.

I don't think the site has been updated in 15 years now.

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”