Aspindale Avon....Probably

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
Mick
Chub

Re: Aspindale Avon....Probably

Post by Mick »

Lovely rod Jeremy, good work! Look out Crucians!!!

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

It is a lovely rod, improved still by the longer handle that Jeremy has gifted it with. It is certainly an early rod from the Brothers era as it came with the original bag with the remnants of the original label. It is also a very similar 10' 6" rod to mine that Jeremy referred to in his post. That one has the full Avon inscription and is designated as No.896.

As a follow up I just acquired yet another Aspindale Avon, this time a 12ft version. I bought a good example a couple of years ago which I soon sold on was too cumbersome at that length. This new one is very original but in need of work. It is a full length whole cane/whole cane/sliced tip however the handle is actually a reasonable length. I still don't like it as it is, so it may not finish up as a 12' rod. Like Jeremy's rod it just says Aspindale, so it will probably end up as a better useable Avon style rod. :Scared:
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Another fine job Jeremy. I have always thought 10ft 6in to 11ft is the best overall length for these whole cane float rods.

I used to have a very nice 12ft version without a model number or name. It had a full length built cane tip section, whole cane middle and butt. I extended the cork grip from 20 inch to 24 inch and this made a world of difference to the rod when in use.

Wal.

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Post by TrentFisher »

Hi Jeremy,

looks pretty identical to mine,which I purchased some years ago from a dealer and it remains a regular user.I love it...too strong an expression!

All the best
Nige.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

TrentFisher wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:05 pm Hi Jeremy,

looks pretty identical to mine,which I purchased some years ago from a dealer and it remains a regular user.I love it...too strong an expression!

All the best
Nige.
Love to see pics Nige if you have them?
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Just had a better look at the very recent acquisition of the 12 footer Avon (?) I mentioned previously. It is full length with all of the original whippings and the lacquered intermediates are excellent and rust free. It has porcelain lined tip and butt rings, so another case of a builder using what is available! Despite it being extremely original it is still a rubbish fishing rod in the current configuration. :Scared:
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

I had one at 12 ft too Bob and sold it on but with hindsight I should have worked at it to make it nicer to fish with.
I am becoming quite a fan of rods with whole cane butt and middle sections and built cane tips. They definitely have merit and with handle lengths to balance the overall length can be very nice in the hand. Quite powerful too judging by the experience of Allrounder and Paul F with their Hardy Generals!
They are not simply roach rods as I mistakingly assumed but have a much wider application.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I fully agree Jeremy, they can be altered to suit our modern style of fishing by adding a bit to the handle length and maybe a bit of weight added to the butt end cap for an even better balance.
There are two versions of course, the Thames style, built with heavier cane sections which gives a fairly stiff tip only action or the Sheffield style which is built with thinner more flexible cane sections giving a more through action (sometimes called an Avon action). The Sheffield type is my preferred rod, certainly in the longer lengths.

Wal.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:15 pm I fully agree Jeremy, they can be altered to suit our modern style of fishing by adding a bit to the handle length and maybe a bit of weight added to the butt end cap for an even better balance.
There are two versions of course, the Thames style, built with heavier cane sections which gives a fairly stiff tip only action or the Sheffield style which is built with thinner more flexible cane sections giving a more through action (sometimes called an Avon action). The Sheffield type is my preferred rod, certainly in the longer lengths.

Wal.
So the rod I've just done would be a Sheffield style I assume Wal?
It does bend when you pull hard on it, it would bring a good chub to heal no bother! :Thumb:

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Yes I think Aspindales only made Sheffield (Avon) versions.
Thames rods are stiffer with tip action only, great for quick biting fish but unforgiving on larger fish and can lead to broken lines or hook pulls.

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”