Did older poles have elastic?

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
JAA
Crucian Carp

Re: Did older poles have elastic?

Post by JAA »

This from 1993:
I adapted an old glass pole to work like this - I used a cork with a plastic disgorger araldited thorught the middle for the bung and jolly effective it was too, landed a 17lb carp on a 2lb bottom with it, one winter.
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I had an old fibreglass pole for a number of years. These days, it would be considered a whip, as it was only about 20 feet long. The top section was very flexible solid glass. It had an eye whipped to the tip. OK for small silver fish but nothing else.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

ExeAngler
Chub

Post by ExeAngler »

Thanks for the feedback Chaps.

I will say, it is constructed with some of the "Modern Material", probably with a tad addition of glass as a lot of poles are. It is a well know Japanese make and approx 12 metres when fully put together. Not sure of the exact date of issue but would think late 80s/early 90s? It has been fitted with internal elastic which is set too tight. The bungs are stuck in them and I have no form of extraction device to get them out. Hence, I was thinking of rigging up an external elastic to resolve the issue, or putting a light length of elastic at the end and attaching to the stronger Carp elastic. That way I would not bump as many fish and it may be able to handle small/large fish with the same configuration, if that makes sense. Regards Exe Angler.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

The bungs are usually remove with a long thin wire with a small 'L' shaped hook on the end or by a screw threaded tool made by drennan... take it into your tackle shop they'll sort it for you... while you are there you could ask them to fit a puller bung and re-elasticate it for you... it would take them less than 10 mins
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

You just beat me to it Aitch! Other bungs could have a key type extractor or loop that can be hooked out with a suitably bent wire. Alternatively cut the existing elastic and push the bung out with a garden cane or similar from the tip end (assuming it's bunged in the 2nd section)

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

This is a puller bung... its far easier to use than a normal elastic setup
ImageImage

The top pic is the bung before insertion (oo-er)
The bottom pic is with the bung in situ... this is how it looks normally
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

When my Grandfather was in the First World War he sent home for his roach pole for use when he was away from The Front . Apparently some French anglers at the time used elastic between the pole tip and the line . I've no idea if was made from rubber bands ,inner tube or knicker elastic . It was just something he mentioned and as a lad l probably wasn't curious enough to press for details . I was a bit scared of my Grandad anyway!
I've still a couple of surviving sections of his pole in the shed.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

My old Father-in-law, ( now passed on) used an old bamboo pole that didn't look that well made with brass ferrules.
I only ever remember him fishing Norwood lakes.
He had about a foot of elastic on the end, like thin Square catapult elastic.
He cought some nice Tench on that old pole that had a permanent bend in the end.

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

In 1985 we were trying to get quiver tip arrangements to work with elastic but within a year we'd switched to internal elastics as PTFE liners became available. I've just resurrected ( I'd Araldited a brass thread on it to make a landing net pole, now removed) my 1976 Shakespeare 5.4 metre glass pole that has a solid glass flick tip, hollow tip and short tip that did have a push-on crook that has long gone AWOL; I used to enjoy using the pole crook and elastic, both with the Shakespeare and Garbolino SLV poles.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

In the late seventies, when I was a kid, I had a black Shakespeare pole with a white handle on it, quite like the landing net handle they made at the time. I was the ‘bees knees’ at the Cow Pond because I had it fitted up with a crook (croic?) and elastic. The elastic was white and I think doubled over into a loop. It was very cool as I fished ‘the French way’ and it kind of fitted with our smart retro Mod clothes that we wore (even when fishing!).

This set up was really handy for hemp/hemp and tare/hemp and caster because the stamp of roach changed from two ounces to goers and a pound plus. I kid you not that I’d get the roach in such a frenzy you could wave your arm and pretend to throw bait and they would boil on the surface!

Sometimes we’d jump on the 103, get off at Dagenham East station, walk up the back of May and Baker to meet the Hornchurch crew. They’d yomp over past the Chase with their seat boxes and bags. We’d meet at Tom Thumb where I caught a fair few tench laying on tight in the edge with that pole and they’d stretch that elastic right out to the point where I’d drop the pole in the water and simply hang on to the butt! I can’t recall ever being broken up.

In 1980 we went to France for a family holiday and my Dad promised me a French pole - a Lerc - which would have taken my status at the Cow Pond off the scale. Sadly we didn’t quite get to find one but back in England he treated me to a Garbolino, which was actually a better pole than the Lerc at the time but didn’t quite have the same kudos. I recall it being 6.90m and dark green. But my memory isn’t what it was!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”