Aspindale Piker/ Boat rod

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
Bob Brookes
Zander

Re: Aspindale Piker/ Boat rod

Post by Bob Brookes »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:45 am Almost certainly a pier rod, I think. I remember such rods stood about 6ft apart all along the pier railings at most seaside resorts. It would be just about the time solid glass took over.
Wal.
:Hat: As you know I too have a similar rod to this one and I agree with Wal that it would be a good pier rod. However I have used it for piking and I can confirm that it was just the job for taming 20lb plus pike, even taking on a good bend.

As with most rods when I was a kid it would have been used for whatever the buyer wanted to target. It was way before the days of bespoke rods for almost any species or type of fishing. Most anglers had one rod, unless they were very lucky, or wealthy. I remember my pike rod was my roach rod with the top joint removed and replace by a short stubby one. And, do you know what, we managed!

Both of the rods are just signed Aspindale and I am convinced that they are pre Aspindale & Sons, but they aren't marked Aero. I wonder if they aren't from the Aero period that they may pre-date it. Were there Aspindale rods made pre-war?

One other thing! I haven't seen, or heard of, any other similar rods by the maker. Has anyone on here got one? It seems strange to think that I uncovered the only two such rods in captivity. :Wink:
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

AllRounder
Brown Trout

Post by AllRounder »

I know nothing about Aspindale but that’s a stunning job Jeremy. Well done :Hat:

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Bob Brookes wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:46 am
Wallys-Cast wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:45 am Almost certainly a pier rod, I think. I remember such rods stood about 6ft apart all along the pier railings at most seaside resorts. It would be just about the time solid glass took over.
Wal.
:Hat: As you know I too have a similar rod to this one and I agree with Wal that it would be a good pier rod. However I have used it for piking and I can confirm that it was just the job for taming 20lb plus pike, even taking on a good bend.

As with most rods when I was a kid it would have been used for whatever the buyer wanted to target. It was way before the days of bespoke rods for almost any species or type of fishing. Most anglers had one rod, unless they were very lucky, or wealthy. I remember my pike rod was my roach rod with the top joint removed and replace by a short stubby one. And, do you know what, we managed!

Both of the rods are just signed Aspindale and I am convinced that they are pre Aspindale & Sons, but they aren't marked Aero. I wonder if they aren't from the Aero period that they may pre-date it. Were there Aspindale rods made pre-war?

One other thing! I haven't seen, or heard of, any other similar rods by the maker. Has anyone on here got one? It seems strange to think that I uncovered the only two such rods in captivity. :Wink:
I would agree with you Bob I think they were produced by Aspindale & Sons pre 1949.
Mine has brass handle furniture which possibly indicates an early rod? Could it be that they dont have the "Aero" branding because the tips weren't hollow built? :Confused:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Bob Brookes wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:46 am
Wal.

I would agree with you Bob I think they were produced by Aspindale & Sons pre 1949.
Mine has brass handle furniture which possibly indicates an early rod? Could it be that they dont have the "Aero" branding because the tips weren't hollow built? :Confused:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

They did some individual rods - the Temedale being a one off! As found on "http://www.inthenetuk.com/pages/home.asp" The rod came up for sale and was sold a couple of years ago.

I have 2 very early rods - Avons (Mk1 2 joint 11ft) - but not seen another. I also have the Avon II which is similar, later and popular.

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Jeremy Croxall wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:49 am
Silfield wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:34 pm That looks stunning :Hat:
Do you have any idea of it's original intended use?
Silfield, I don't know for sure what purpose Aspindales had in mind when producing this rod but when discussing this with Bob he thought it highly likely it was designed for boat fishing.
Or maybe they just produced it as a heavy general purpose rod? I did wonder if it might have been thought of as a heavy spinning rod for salmon fishing but it doesn't have much "whip" in it ....but then neither does my Scottie salmon spinner?
I see it as an occasional use rod for any situation where you need a rod with the backbone to hit and hold or launch a heavy lead or dead bait or haul up a heavy load from the depths. .....as has been said before, "if only rods could talk"! :fingertap:
Thanks Jeremy, it certainly looks like it could handle most situations and an ideal length for a boat.
I have a similar beast of a rod but a shade over 10' that I am working on at present, it was described as a prawning rod. I had hoped to use it this season for dead baiting but the varnishing took a turn for the worse and has had to be stripped back again. It should be good for next season though.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Good afternoon,did they ever make a Roach rod that was a genuine rod and was named as that,there seemed a lot of similar rods but I’ve never heard of such a rod.Terry.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Having used/fished the trotted prawn - it is entirely for salmon - and the occasional errant sea trout. So successful on the Coquet it was banned. I hook 6-7 salmon but only landed 4 on the prawn. Due to the bankside vegetation I purchased a longer rod of 13ft made from modern materials to get around/over bushes. Prawning rods make excellent cane carp rods but - a bit 'bendy' in the middle I found.

Chapmans made the following rod:- The F.J.Taylor Roach rod 12′-6″ 3 piece.

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”