possible greenheart

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Splitcaner
Ruffe

possible greenheart

Post by Splitcaner »

Can anyone help please, I have just accquired three vintage rods in various states of condition a split cane rod no name only two rings top and bottom both lined. green and yellow whippings. The other rod is a very nice J Clayton of Boston either bamboo or spanish reed with a split cane top red whipping and inters just needs two rings replacing. The third rod is a Allcocks three piece with brass fittings gold badge with reg trade mark uk 63647 made in England.This has what I think is a solid wood handle brass ferrules and it feels solid throughout could this be Greenheart, I dont know what it looks like, the bottom two sections are black the top section looks like it has been scraped clean I cant see any nodes or seams and I dont think its fibreglass.There are no rings on this rod. Would be very pleased for more imformation. Regards John. PS will be bringing all three rods to the angling fair at Rotherham.

Sevilla315
Gudgeon

Re: possible greenheart

Post by Sevilla315 »

I've just posted an update to my thread of a Grant Vibration greeheart which I've stripped back in prep for oiling with teak oil. It shows you what it looks like.
It's much denser (greeheart is similar to ipe or Brazilian walnut, one of the hardest, and heaviest woods) than bamboo so it should be quite distinct in weight and colour.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Not sure if this will help but this is the top half of the heavy greenheart tip from my Millwards Services travel rod.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Splitcaner
Ruffe

Post by Splitcaner »

Thanks for replies I dont think the tip is actually greenheart it looks lighter in colour and also no real weight about it. I left it outside under the hedge to get some moisture in it but not enough it snapped. It looked like a piece of dowel wood maybe Ramin. I have a split cane tip which I could use but it will only give me about 18 inches on the tip the ferrule is very small diameter. It will give the rod an overall length of about 9 foot.I will bring it to the angling fair at Easter and hopefully get some advice. Many thanks again for the responce. John.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Splitcaner wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:13 pm Thanks for replies I dont think the tip is actually greenheart it looks lighter in colour and also no real weight about it. I left it outside under the hedge to get some moisture in it but not enough it snapped. It looked like a piece of dowel wood maybe Ramin. I have a split cane tip which I could use but it will only give me about 18 inches on the tip the ferrule is very small diameter. It will give the rod an overall length of about 9 foot.I will bring it to the angling fair at Easter and hopefully get some advice. Many thanks again for the responce. John.
Lancewood? This is the ultra light Lancewood tip, now retired, from the same Millwards Services rod, above the Greenheart tip.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”