Hunter and The Arun

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Hunter and The Arun

Post by Ljm183 »

At what length,s were the hunters made
I know about the 12ft and 14ft but did they make a 10ft? I saw one today but the writing did,nt look right
The owner also had a Chapman,s The Arun, anyone heard of these ?

Lee.

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Re: Hunter and The Arun

Post by Greentura »

The Hunters were only made in 12 ' and 14' but it was common for 'specials' to be made to cusgomers requirments although I have seen one that had been rebuilt with a second butt guide on the mid section and a short handle section, to make a 10'6"/12' rod with two butt sections. I thought of doing that with one of mine as I have a spare ferrule and butt guide. I nearly bid on the 14' that was on eBay last week but decided it was just too much, then another £25 for postage as well.

The Arun is a 12' 3 piece float rod and is quite rare, all split cane with a 19-/20" cork handle and if it's got whole cane butt and mid sections it's even more rare. Green whippings and aqua lite tip and butt guides, a nice roach rod

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

That's a Marco Arun with a Chapmans transfer on it !!!!

Somebody call the Police !

To be more exact the writing is a copy of the 'hand' on many Hardy rods, the transfer is a Chapman and the whipping ( and the rod name) is from a Marco.

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

Probably right on the Arun Nobby, which is why i gave a description of the Chapmans 'Arun' for jim to work from, as the whippings should have been green, not that they always were, the writing looks suspect though and wasn't there a roll of Chapmans transfers on ebay some time ago :wink:

It seems the name 'Arun' is quite a common one, Ogden smith, Marco elasticane and Chapmans all had them, like Avon and Kennett, it seems be more a style of rod

Bang out of order adding a Chapmans transfer, or any other come to that. I wouldn't, even if I found a transfer, add one to a rod that has lost it's original

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Nobby wrote:That's a Marco Arun with a Chapmans transfer on it !!!!

Somebody call the Police !

To be more exact the writing is a copy of the 'hand' on many Hardy rods, the transfer is a Chapman and the whipping ( and the rod name) is from a Marco.
I knew id seen that whipping somewhere before!

Both the rods don,t look right, especially the writing on the "10 foot hunter"

Should have said the second photo is of the 10ft hunter

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

Hunters are hollow built in the butt and mid sections and that is written in Indian ink around the cane by the cork handle, or above the keeper ring on some. Check the Chapmans site as the tapers are on it for both lengths, but it's looking less likely either rods are what they claim to be

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I'd only heard of Chapman Hunters at 12 and 14 feet long and I don't recall ever hearing of an Arun by them, just Marco and Ogden Smith.

Chapman did supply blanks to several other makers from time too time, though and I believe the Hunter was sold by another maker and by another name....can't remember who or what, though :oops:

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Nobby wrote:I don't recall ever hearing of an Arun by them, just Marco and Ogden Smith.
Nobby the Chapman,s Arun mentioned here, Roach rod at the bottom
http://www.inthenetuk.com/pages/Vintage ... apmans.asp

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

Ogden Smith also made a rod called the Arun - by all accounts identical to the James Avocet. Not sure if rodmakers can claim IP rights to a name that is also in general use, such as a river - after all, many firms made (and still make) rods called Avon!

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Chapman,s The Arun
only two piece, a definite fake.

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”