Replacing damaged sheet cork on a Allcocks Wizard.

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Willowbrook
Stickleback

Replacing damaged sheet cork on a Allcocks Wizard.

Post by Willowbrook »

Hi.
I want to replace the damaged sheet cork on the handle of a Wizard,
Has anyone any advise to offer, I would be most grateful to receive it.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: Replacing damaged sheet cork on a Allcocks Wizard.

Post by Tengisgol »

Are you look to do the whole thing or just a patch?
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Willowbrook
Stickleback

Post by Willowbrook »

Thanks for your response.
I Need to do the whole handle..

WillW
Stickleback

Post by WillW »

Hi

I am not sure what a Wizard is like but I have just replaced a 1mm sheet cork handle on a steel rod. It took 5 goes before I was reasonably happy with the result. Gluing was well beyond my skill. The method that worked was to make a paper template. Use a piece of oversized cork (dependent on the rod handle ends it can be left slightly too long and trimmed on the rod). Reinforce the cork with overlapped double sided carpet tape (I checked water resistance- it will withstand immersion for an hour or so).

Using a Stanley knife cut the cork to size against a steel straight edge. It can be very slightly oversize- say less than 1/2mm but not undersized. Mark a longitudinal line on the handle. Remove the remaining layer of tape backing from the cork and offer up to the marked line. Smooth round the rod and press into place. Any slight overlap must not carry the tape (easier than it sounds if the overlap is small enough). Any slight ridge caused by an overlap can be removed by very gentle abrasion with worn 180 grit sandpaper. I sealed with dilute PVA.

Not for purists I know but I hope it is of some help.

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Hi Willowbrook,
You may wish to have a look at an earlier thread entitled 'Do I need another Wizard?'
Sorry, but I have absolutely no idea how to give you a link to the thread, but you'll find it in the Allcocks cane rods section.
Good luck with your Wizard.
Paul.

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

think this is a link

viewtopic.php?t=26485

Copy and paste

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Barbelseeker wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:33 pm think this is a link

viewtopic.php?t=26485

Copy and paste
Perfect, thanks :Hat:

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

I did a Farlowsrod a few years ago for a friend with sheet cork and slowly slowly was the key. Contact adhesive and a new blade. It finished up looking very professional. So if I can do it so can you.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

I have never re-corked a sheet rod handle but I regularly use 1mm (and thicker) cork sheet as underlay on my model railway scenics and track. Experience has taught me that not all sheet cork is the same - some of it is awful.

So far, the best I have ever found has come from model railway suppliers - solid, no holes or gaps and pliable. I’d steer clear of craft suppliers.

If you’d like a recommendation on a reliable supplier, I’d be happy to provide one or two.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

ImageImageI have just found this scrap of the material I used and it looks like it is leather backed. My wife got the off cuts from a furniture manufacturer.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”