A visit to Ashbourne and the Peak District

The Fosters of Ashbourne Forum.
Tengisgol
Barbel

A visit to Ashbourne and the Peak District

Post by Tengisgol »

Three years ago my wife decided that we had seen and done everything that there was to do in Norfolk, in October half term, and we needed to explore further and beyond. So ended our annual week on the banks of the River Wensum, where I was usually free to fish the river for an hour, early or late, after family duties were discharged.

The first year of change she decided we would explore the New Forest...and without realising it she promptly booked a cottage just a good cast from the banks of the Hampshire Avon :Hahaha: - usual service resumed and I was delighted to revisit some old haunts and re-acquaint myself with the fabulous and giant Avon roach. The next year we went to Yorkshire and I snuck in a day on the Aire, and this year...we went to Ashbourne in the Peak District! Having just come back a day before from a fishing trip to Spain, tackle was left at home but I had to laugh when I discovered on arrival that, on going through the door of Woolley's, she'd booked a place just 100yds from a vintage tackle emporium.

I hadn't given a moment's thought to what was at Ashbourne at all, this trip was all about Mrs T., and I'd never even (knowingly) been to the Peak District before. If I am honest, I had always just assumed that Fosters was another Kent rod-maker. Then, as soon as Stephen started talking to me about his history working for Fosters, the penny dropped...

If you ever go to Ashbourne, or nearby, of course you have to go into Woolley's. Don't be put off by the outside at all and the fact that it looks permanently shut. This is Stephen's shop, open for business:

So I discovered of course that Stephen had joined Fosters as a 16 year old and, after a while, was promoted to the workshop where he learnt the art of making a split cane rod. As I understand it, there had been a fishing tackle manufacturer at 27 Church Street since 1763 (what about that for heritage!). Now it is a photography shop:

Anyhow, back to Stephen's place - well worth a visit! I limited my purchases to a glass fibre carp rod blank, a handmade float and some mayflies purchased well in advance of next spring to stock up my box. But I could have just gone round and round his place, picking bits up, and coming out much the poorer. On offer were a number of cane coarse rods such as Aspindales and Allcocks plus some very nice Woolley's and Fosters fly rods.

Ashbourne itself is well worth a stay with some nice places to eat (four plates cleared in record fashion at George and Dragon, which was good home-cooked food) and some decent ale.

Travelling around, I was quite taken aback at the size and beauty of the Peak District. Quite bucolic and some fabulous looking rivers. At Bakewell I was equally taken in with the river Wye, the town itself and the tarts...although it was sad to see that the local fly fishing tackle shop (or room) was in the process of drawing business to a close.

Clan TengisGol even managed some climbing - and the teenagers smiled and enjoyed it, bloody hell!

Chatsworth was a fascinating visit and the sheer opulence was almost sickening but fascinating to boot.

So, that was our visit and I'd wholly recommend a trip to Ashbourne and the Peak District. We'll be going back, I fancy a few nights at the Rutland Hotel and some guiding on the Wye, if I am ever feeling flush. Although Mrs T. did mutter after a few drinks that she was missing Norfolk a little.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Cat
Chub

Re: A visit to Ashbourne and the Peak District

Post by Cat »

A visit to Steve Woolley's is akin to a kid in a sweet shop!

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Thank you Phil for sharing your Peak District experience with us, it sounds and looks as if you had a great time with your family! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

I first visited Stephen place in the 90's and still have a nice wooden reel I purchased from him and a lovely Walker style landing net that he made. He is a lovely chap.

Lovely write up Phil.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Never knew it was there, thanks for enlightening me - will definitely be on my trip to Matlock next time.

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Well blow me Phil, I was in the High Peak yesterday, walking Kinder Scout, The vintage tackle emporium you describe looks well worth a visit, and only 30 miles further on… the next time I am down that way I must make a note to get to Ashbourne , sounds a lovely place . I am sure Thora would find lots to photograph whilst I am doing my best not to spend too much.

David

Norfolk is always good though :Hat:
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

That was lovely Phil, nothing like time away with your family and some fishing heritage thrown in too!
Love the shop, the tackle, the pub, and the traditional tarts, thats what its all about, a great write up, thanks for sharing that with us.

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

Barbelseeker wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:17 pm Never knew it was there, thanks for enlightening me - will definitely be on my trip to Matlock next time.
Be careful, Peter.
That shop looks like a very dangerous place for the likes of you and me! :Chuckle:

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

I shall have plenty of room for more - going to sort my rods and reels like you do. Can see how your wife believes you have so little when it is all so nicely packaged. No pun intended

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

The " padlock " main bridge into Bakewell is not to be missed. Massive rainbow trout and I believe the only wild bred uk strain. Big sign saying " don't feed the birds" and then 10 yds later the shops with signs saying " bird food"!

Too much water this week to see them

Return to “Fosters of Ashbourne Cane Rods”