Not long now....

This forum is for discussing pike.
BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Not long now....

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

It's not long to the start of the Pike season so I thought I would start making sure everything I will need, will be at hand. A few new floats made during lockdown will be pushed into service once October arrives. The two fat floats are corks from bottles of some unusual alcoholic beverage that my son used to sell, probably at a extortionate price, to some central London yuppie types.
I thought of putting a vane on them but looking at the width of them I think they might be big enough to go with the wind across a reservoir. If they don't I will put a short vane on them. The other two will be used on the local canal.
IMG_20210905_181610_resize_78.jpg
Thanks
BB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Re: Not long now....

Post by Grumpy »

The two on the left should make a lovely sound when pulled under by Esox.Lovely floats Sir.

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

Getting itchy fingers now,started to sort out the pike rods etc, but then the water temps are on the rise again,64f yesterday,started to get some deadbaits from Morrisons, they do some lovely sardines, trying to find out if I can buy herring etc straight from the docks somewhere.

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Have you tried Whiting as a sea deadbait Paul /Tizer ?
Every year when I start my winter season on the beach I try to get a few nice sized ones in the freezer, I have had Pike to low ‘20’s on whitings, quite why they seem to work better for me than Mackerel or Sardine I do not know , the one thing I am certain if is that they are as fresh prior to freezing as they could be.

David.
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

Thank you,I have heard about them before,I have tried them some time back in the day, Think I must have tried just about everything,I don't remember catching on them,I do remember having a few on the squid from Tesco's,I am after fresh herring, and I mean fresh,Tesco used to sell fresh herring, the ones that had red eyes and the scales came off in your hands when you touched them,these days tescos fresh means about 4 days old

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

These floats brought a big smile to my face the colour are just great.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Hi david, I have never tried whiting, I tend to use sea fish more than course fish but whiting has never crossed my mind, up to now. A 20 is my goal this winter, but it has been my goal for many winters in my long life.
I'm thinking of trying hollingworth this winter, have you fished it?

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

A 20 is a rare beast these days,15 years ago when you went piking you were in with a chance of a 20 and a outside chance of a 30, but not no more, In the last 8 winters going piking 3 or 4 times a week I have had just one 20, I don't fish the big ressies/lochs, I don't boat fish and I don't live bait or lure fish and I don't night fish anymore...........................I can not always be in the wrong place at the wrong time,they are just not there, in my opinion,Every winter I have usually fond some new rivers/drains/pits/lakes to try, I have a couple of new new places to try this winter and I have a good feeling about them,but I have that same feeling every winter

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I agree with the above - big females getting fewer and fewer - they thrive on neglect! And require good handling from a small size or they will never grow and get to be 20!

Had about 60 at 20lb and above in total. Again no lochs (too far away)/reservoirs/boats/trout lakes & ponds. Mostly old estate lakes/gravel pits and rivers. The large percentage being on legered deadbaits. Lucky enough to have caught 3 X 20lbers in one day twice in the years I have fished for them.
Last edited by Olly on Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

BoltonBullfinch wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:41 pm Hi david, I have never tried whiting, I tend to use sea fish more than course fish but whiting has never crossed my mind, up to now. A 20 is my goal this winter, but it has been my goal for many winters in my long life.
I'm thinking of trying hollingworth this winter, have you fished it?

Thanks
BB
Hi Paul,
I have walked Hollingworth Lake lots of times, and only ever seen anybody fishing there twice. I know it did have some big Pike and Bream shoals, but the lack of attention makes me think that it maybe is not what it used to be, plus it gets a lot of attention from pedestrians walking around the place , all around, lots with dogs and nowhere to get away from them really .

I have heard that Todmorden Angling club had put a bid in for the rights, but so far it seems that they are still waiting, and have been for some time.

It is only about ten miles from my front door, but I have not made the effort to fish there myself, so maybe that tells you something :whistle:

I know of a couple of ressies that have big crocks, but they are club only no day tickets.

David
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Return to “Pike (Esox lucius)”