Yet another Dorset thread....

The F. T. Williams Rods forum.
BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Yet another Dorset thread....

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

I received last week a Dorset de luxe from the old flea Bay for the sum of £50. It is in need of a refurb but I would like to keep the refurb as minimal as possible to keep as much originality as possible. The whipping on the rod is quite intricate and the thread used seems to be variegated between green and red. There are lots of spirals on the whippings and I don't want to lose these, or try and copy them. What I have done starting on just the butt section is to remove the whipping that is actually holding the butt guide in place, but have left the fancy whipping that is all part of the guide whipping alone. I have only removed the varnish from where the butt guide was as I don't want to damage the intermediates scraping all the varnish off, so was hoping to put new varnish on top of old varnish, should this be OK, the old varnish is very thin but in good nick. I will put up a couple of pictures tomorrow evening....

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Re: Yet another Dorset thread....

Another question, the sliding reel seat seems to be stuck solid, I take it this should be movable using gentle persuasion.

Thanks
BB

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Would anyone know the red thread used on these rods or know of a near match please.

Thanks
BB

Danesman
Silver Bream

Post by Danesman »

You might consider Fuji ultra poly colour number 007, a deep red/burgandy. I am really pleased with the colour on my Dorset

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Danesman wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:24 am You might consider Fuji ultra poly colour number 007, a deep red/burgandy. I am really pleased with the colour on my Dorset
Thank you sir.

Thanks
BB

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

I don't know if this is going to look OK, but I didn't want to strip down the whole rod. All rings need replacing.

Untouched
IMG_20210819_213953_resize_92.jpg
Guide removed
IMG_20210819_033723_resize_39.jpg
Guide replaced
IMG_20210819_212535_resize_62.jpg
Thanks
BB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “F. T. Williams Cane Rods”