Salmon Flies for 7# rod

General fly fishing chat area.
Santiago
Wild Carp

Salmon Flies for 7# rod

Post by Santiago »

Just booked for a week's walking /fishing holiday in the North of Scotland. I'll be mainly fly fishing for wild trout but will also have a few days on a Loch that has a good run of salmon and sea trout. I've already sourced the required permits!

Can anyone recommend salmon/sea trout fly patterns for the very North of Scotland, for early-mid July, that can be readily cast with a7# salmon fly line. So not too big! Many thanks in advance!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Re: Salmon Flies for 7# rod

Post by Bobby Marlene »

viewtopic.php?f=116&t=28962&hilit=Flies

The Ayrshire Red is my favourit. Perhaps because it caught me my first Salmon on the Yorkshire Esk.
Small doubles or singles work fine. You can find the dressing on YouTube, Davie Mcphail
Tight lines, Bobby

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Sizes 8, 10, 12 and 14 low water doubles in the following - Silver stoats tail, Black stoats tail, Teal blue and silver, Cascade, Allys shrimp, Mudder Minnows in gold body, all white and all black. If this list is for Lochs (Sandwood?) then add 'wee doubles' in sizes 10, 12 and 14 in Black pennel, Bibio and Mallard and Claret as a minimum and 'stroke the water' close in as per trout fishing. NB Stay well back from the waters edge as the fish are often very close in to the shore and will be skittish in anything but a rolling wave. Work the margins then repeat that section with a longer cast and swing. If there's no wind/ripple/wave to swing your flies then forget it - you'll be too busy running from hoardes of midgies to fish anyway!

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Cheers. I have a few of some of those listed so that's great. My son made them as a Christmas present.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Return to “General Fly Chat”