Ephemera Silk

General fly fishing chat area.
Iasgair
Chub

Re: Ephemera Silk

Post by Iasgair »

You ought to put them in a display case so all can see them. Great conversation piece. :laugh1:
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

BreadFlake wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:12 am
Iasgair wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:28 pm You ought to put them in a display case so all can see them. Great conversation piece. :laugh1:
You jest but I've considered it, or at least a nice wooden box. The cardboard doesn't do it justice. :Hahaha:
A nice shadow box would be great.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Rows of nicely tied flies to be kept in your waistcoat pocket and brought out to catch fine trout would be even better :Hat:

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Let's hope that by then we can fish the rivers of our choice :Beg: Depending on weather and water conditions I could open my trout fishing season on the Wharfe, Aire, Ribble, Lune, Kent etc but none of that is truly "local" to me. It might have to be the lowly Wyre :Sun:

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I hope your season is superb BF :Hat: I don't know the fishing on Dearne but I do know that Barnsley, apart from being home town of my very favourite guitar player, has a long tradition of angling clubs and exceptional anglers, particularly in the field of competitive coarse angling and the mighty Barnsley Blacks! If you get chance I'd like to hear of your experiences, waters and clubs etc :Hat:

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

BreadFlake wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:57 pm
Liphook wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:03 pm Let's hope that by then we can fish the rivers of our choice :Beg: Depending on weather and water conditions I could open my trout fishing season on the Wharfe, Aire, Ribble, Lune, Kent etc but none of that is truly "local" to me. It might have to be the lowly Wyre :Sun:
I'll be on the Dearne above Barnsley, wouldn't mind Oughtibridge but it's a 6 mile bike ride from the train station.

I'm sure where ever you end up it will be brilliant.
If you can make it to Tinker's Ponds at the bottom of Woodstock Rd, then go down to the canal, over the stile, continue towards the pylon a couple of hundred yards away to your left and downhill, then follow the little stream, cross a bridge and you come to the Dearne. Anywhere from the bridge at Smithies to the bridge at The Miller's Arms at Barugh will give you trout, grayling, dace and some good sized chub on fly. It is over two miles of relatively unspoilt and free wild fishing. Or it was when I left. It might be a Sainsbury's warehouse now.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

You will struggle to avoid coarse fish below Low Barugh and even up there grayling now abound in large numbers. Between there and Smithies I reckon I will have had more chub than everything else put together, with roach, dace and perch outnumbering my trout catches. All on fly.

I wouldn't fly-fish that stretch outside the coarse fish close season. Get the bus up to Owlerton Stadium and fish at the back of Hillsborough College or walk up Beeley Wood Rd. All free and plenty of trout there. Also, the Holme near to Huddersfield has trout and there are free stretches near to the College.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Go to the Dearne around Darfield through to Adwick in summer and fish a small PTN under an EHC and you will get some great sport with chub. Or fish near to the Dearne Valley Way bridge and upstream of Cat Hill where the Dove joins for dace.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Because of the EA stocking of grayling and barbel, and the low density of trout in that stretch I wouldn't be comfortable trying to justify fishing for trout in the coarse fish close season. You could always email them and ask.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

They put 500 grayling in near to the Miller's Arms about 12 years or so ago and some barbel just below that. Since then they have stocked more. The 'trouty' stretches are upstream of there; Darton, Haigh, West Bretton.

Return to “General Fly Chat”