Does anyone use a Leeda Gearfly reel?

General fly fishing chat area.
Tengisgol
Barbel

Does anyone use a Leeda Gearfly reel?

Post by Tengisgol »

I have this one but the drag mechanism/brake has perished. I either need to find the spare part and work out how to put it back together or offer it (with two spools) to someone as a spare (the most likely!).

They’re a nice solid reel!

Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Mr B
Arctic Char

Re: Does anyone use a Leeda Gearfly reel?

Post by Mr B »

I have a Speedex that I intend to get some line on..
I picked it up last year with a spare spool.
I’m not sure if it should have a ratchet sound, or if the drag works properly... when it’s on full it still turns quit freely, just slightly stiffer.
I know there not the same reel but look similar, seeing your post made me get it out and have a look.
Hope you get it sorted out!

Mr B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I had an Intrepid Gear Fly for a short time. It was very heavy. To get around that I used to take the reel off the rod and put it in my pocket while fishing. Then I dropped it and the handle would no longer turn. I binned it.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

So your not a fan then!
That’s sounds like the type of thing I would do!
I haven’t used it yet, haven’t even considered the weight of it? Got it to use on Bewl water.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

If your in a boat on Bewl you could rest your rod on the gunwale :-)

I found the reel heavy to use and because of the gearing, prone to tangling and bedding in. The Rim Fly was a less complex, lighter and cheaper alternative. Treat yourself to a used Hardy Marquis, you'll never use another reel!

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Yes, I have three Rim Fly’s great reels but now I fancy Hardy Marquis! ( I will send a Pm re the size’s)
I do hope Tengisgol got his reel sorted out.. sorry drifted away from the original thread!

Mr B

BF60
Minnow

Post by BF60 »

I once had a Hardy Marquis Multiplier fly reel I accidentally dropped it on my bedroom floor and the cage cracked cost me £90 too lol.I've also had an intrepid gearfly reel and it was a very good reel.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Don't discount the JW Youngs reels (or those they badged for Shakespeare, Daiwa etc) or for that matter a Scientific Anglers System 2. Even a Sharpes Gordon if you don't need the exposed rim type. You'll get 2 or 3 for the price of a Marquis, and all just as if not more robust. Far better to have fully operational spare reels than one reel and a collection of spare spools (unless they are the modern cassette types).

Return to “General Fly Chat”