Cane for beginner??

General fly fishing chat area.
Steve B
Gudgeon

Cane for beginner??

Post by Steve B »

Hi All,

Hope everyones keeping well....

Hoping to have a bash at fly fishing next year and was wondering if its a good idea to start with a cane rod bank fishing on places like Pitsford and Gratham, or do they only really cover the more intimate venues?

Please bear in mind ive never cast a fly rod, and know virtually nothing about fly fishing, but its always intrigued me, and im feeling the urge to jump in

Thanks in advance

Steve B

Beresford
Sea Trout

Re: Cane for beginner??

Post by Beresford »

I would advise against using cane for bank fishing the big reservoirs. You will get tired very quickly and your casting will suffer as a result. I keep my cane fly rod for river fishing and use more modern tackle for Rutland and Grafham. Sometimes you do need to be able to cast a long line and keep that up for many hours.

As you haven't tried fly fishing before I very strongly advise that you enjoy one of beginner sessions run by Anglia Water on their big reservoirs and don't do or buy anything until you've done so. They will supply all the tackle for the session and teach you how to cast.
Last edited by Beresford on Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Wow Steve, that is jumping in the deep end having never cast a fly, but fair play to you.

The only problem with fishing with cane on big reservoirs like those, you are going to need a rod of around 10ft of 6-7wt to reach the fish from the bank.

That is a substantial rod to cast, and a slow style is required, probably a spey cast will suit best.

Do you have any trout streams nearby? it would be an easier start to your career, a 3 or 4 wt rod of 7ft would be much more manageable, small wild river trout are great fun on cane.

Good luck with whatever you choose :Hat:

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

You'll be fine with a 9' 6" from the bank. #7 is a good place to start. It's easier to use than a lighter line and will handle in the wind. The most technical casting gets on the reservoir is using a double haul technique but you need to learn the basics before you try that. Spey casting needs a double handed rod and you'll only ever use a single handed rod on the reservoir. I guess you could roll cast but you really don't need to and there's no benefit since the one thing you do have is lots of space.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I wish I had lessons when I started, after 45 + years of casting badly it's too late to change. Get a lesson, get advice about a rod and line from a qualified instructor, it will save you hundreds of pounds. It's just like golf or tennis, you need a pro to start you off.

Rutilus
Roach

Post by Rutilus »

Nigel Rainton wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:15 pm I wish I had lessons when I started, after 45 + years of casting badly it's too late to change. Get a lesson, get advice about a rod and line from a qualified instructor, it will save you hundreds of pounds. It's just like golf or tennis, you need a pro to start you off.
Couldn't agree more :Hat: In my case it's 50+ but I do manage on smaller waters, I would look a proper wally on the big reservoirs whatever the rod material :Chuckle:

Steve B
Gudgeon

Post by Steve B »

Thanks for your input chaps....sadly i sort of had a hunch about the cane on those venues....and yes thanks I looked into the Anglian water lessons and they seem fair value for money and more valuable for what i'd get from it.

Steve B

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Steve,

Cane is OK on lakes and reservoirs, it's not all about distance. I recall several days where I have caught trout within a few yards of the bank, sometimes behind deep wading anglers. Much to their embarrassment! Once you've learnt to cast correctly without scaring the fish away, you'll be able to graduate to cane.

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

I'm not familiar with your reservoirs, or lakes. I live in Colorado, USA. And even though we have lakes, fish can be found cruising the shallows looking for food. Just look for them feeding and you'll find them.

But I must say that everyone who has posted a reply has given you sound advice in taking a class.

Bamboo is not for everyone because cane rods are slower than the more popular graphite rods. Even a fast action cane rod is slower than a moderate fast graphite. So your casting stroke must be slow and easy, not forceful. Leave your testosterone at home.

Take the classes because they will help you greatly.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Sound advice above. Find a good tutor and you will make a good investment that will pay dividends long into the future. You'll be able to talk tackle, techniques, flies, venues etc etc and no doubt get to try plenty of gear before you lay out on a set up of your own. I hope you enjoy it :Hat:

Return to “General Fly Chat”