Grayling Magic

This forum is for discussing grayling.
Moley
Brown Trout

Grayling Magic

Post by Moley »

'There's no grayling in this river now mate!'

'Why's that?' replied the Fatter protagonist, in between scoffing chunks from an impossibly large Pork Pie.

'Well all the predators 'ave 'ad 'em, and that's what's left have been taken by Eastern Europeans for the pot!'

'Oh dear' replied Fatty whilst swilling and slurping tea from a very large thermos.

The strained silence that followed this divulging of vital information between the two seeming ignoratii ended when the shorter, fatter one declared, after making sure his mouth was empty, doffing his cap and belching loudly 'Well I'll just have a look up stream and see what's what.'

'Yer wasting yer time Moley!'

And with that the taller man strolled back into his water-side domain, the short, fat one stomping upstream for a look see and what's what.

Tackle carried by Fatty was scruffy but serviceable, consisting of a Kennet Perfection partnered with a Match Aerial, large stick bulk shotted and 4lb maxima. In a small disreputable leather bag worn around his neck, lie a pint reds. The only other tackle was a horrid looking net and rolled up mat. The pockets of a once fine jacket, now unspeakably stained with god knows what were full of more pies, a thermos of tea, spare hooks, shots, disgorgers, triple signed Waffen stamped travel documentation, a small camera and a signed picture of the Pope. Thus armed Fatty was on his way.

About half a mile or so upstream from the conversation, a decent run cried out to be fished. Not wanting to disappoint the river Fatty did just that.

The float actually made 15yards before it dived under.......

A lovely fish, bigger than the usual stamp but not a grayling; nice though and always welcome.

No more fish decided to pop by so Fatty scoffed another pie, slurped his tea and then moved a few hundred yards to another glide of exceptional beauty. This time the float only made two yards before doing the Houdini......

Not wasting any time the fish was put back in the roach swim, a dozen reds lobbed in with the float just about making 5yds before another fish that are not in this river anymore dropped the proverbial. In fact half a dozen came to see Fatty, all like peas in a pod before the float could not be seen any more; it was stuck half-way up a tree :clap:

That's it then with no spares time to get back home but not before calling in to a certain Keeper to show that sometimes not all is as it seems, so to speak.

Happy days :Hat:

As ever,........

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Grayling Magic

Post by Olly »

A grayling 'revival' is always welcome in any river or stream!

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

It's a pity about the float but what a satisfying bit of fishing. :Hat:
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Well done Moley another nice piece of angling!
I'm starting to wonder if its the residue of pork pies on your hands which is then flavoring your hooks baits that gives you an edge!

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Love that term "Ignoratii"... I'm nicking that one as there are quite a few qualifiers round these parts... Nicely Done Moley... :Hat:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Well done Moley :Thumb:

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Nicely done.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Well written post, made me smile, and 2 lovely fish :Hat:

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Excellent report and result!

Never say never about fishing.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Paul F wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:09 pm Well written post, made me smile, and 2 lovely fish :Hat:
Exactly! Well done Moley

Return to “Grayling (Thymallus thymallus)”