Toddlers cane rod....

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Toddlers cane rod....

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Hi, I found out Tuesday evening that I'm going to be a first time grandad sometime around next May. I know that I'm much too young at 63 to be a grandad, but it's what it is.
I now feel the need to make a small cane rod for when the boy or girl is able to walk to the local canal and catch their first fish. It won't matter if they never use it again but it's something I have to make. I can't do all the planing and glueing so I need to source a doner rod to alter. I was thinking of a very light and short fly rod or the top two sections of a short three piece rod. I can do the handle and new rings etc.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Toddlers cane rod....

Post by Santiago »

Edgar Sealey Octofly rods make good conversations to light float rods! I have one and will soon start to make a shorter one.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Santiago wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:08 pm Edgar Sealey Octofly rods make good conversations to light float rods! I have one and will soon start to make a shorter one.
Thanks for that, I will have a look.

Thanks
BB

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

How about an Allcocks Lightcaster in 7'
I have one that I have been using for float work on a very small local river and it is great fun.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Silfield wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:33 pm How about an Allcocks Lightcaster in 7'
I have one that I have been using for float work on a very small local river and it is great fun.
That's another one on the possible list thanks.

Thanks
BB

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

BB if we ever do get to meet on the Ribble etc I have a several of tubes of split cane sections you can pick through. Mostly single handed fly rod blanks with ferrules still in place but guides removed. How long are you thinking? I also have an Allcocks Lightcaster that has been striped down but will need to check if the tip is undamaged. It would be nice to return the favour of the corks you sent me

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

The child will have to grow into fishing and it will take a good while until the toddler has co-ordination of eye and arm let alone able to hold any rod with or without Grandads help.So plenty of time to build a rod to suit.Suggest pond net and a few bread crumbs for small fry until of school age! Tony

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

No harm in making such a rod for future generations though I would also suggest starting with a dipping net and jam jar etc - why not make one out of recycled cane sections? (Many a potential angler has been completely turned away from the sport by being pushed too far too early. My good friend - a fellow angling addict - rued the day he started his reluctant 1st son at the age of 4 - now he wouldn't be seen dead fishing ! Let them show interest 1st, take them for an hour or so and then insist on leavingway before any signs of boredom. Wait for them to beg to be involved and introduce them via short sessions - it worked for me as a child and 30 odd years later with my son! Show the dog the rabbit/ be mean to keep them keen etc)
if we ever do get to meet on the Ribble etc I have a several of tubes of split cane sections you can pick through. Mostly single handed fly rod blanks with ferrules still in place but guides removed. How long are you thinking? I also have an Allcocks Lightcaster that has been striped down but will need to check if the tip is full length. It would be good to return the favour of the corks you sent me :Sun:

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Knowing his parents, it could really be a one off, there is no fishing or hunting in either of them, but down the canal, sat on the old buggers knee and sharing the rod and reel duties may just open the little ones mind that when they visit us, they remember the little fish caught at the canal. This is the route I will take and like has been said, it would be nice to have a kiddies rod in the rack and it will make me happy whenever I look at it.

Thanks
BB

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Liphook wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:09 pm No harm in making such a rod for future generations though I would also suggest starting with a dipping net and jam jar etc - why not make one out of recycled cane sections? (Many a potential angler has been completely turned away from the sport by being pushed too far too early. My good friend - a fellow angling addict - rued the day he started his reluctant 1st son at the age of 4 - now he wouldn't be seen dead fishing ! Let them show interest 1st, take them for an hour or so and then insist on leavingway before any signs of boredom. Wait for them to beg to be involved and introduce them via short sessions - it worked for me as a child and 30 odd years later with my son! Show the dog the rabbit/ be mean to keep them keen etc)
if we ever do get to meet on the Ribble etc I have a several of tubes of split cane sections you can pick through. Mostly single handed fly rod blanks with ferrules still in place but guides removed. How long are you thinking? I also have an Allcocks Lightcaster that has been striped down but will need to check if the tip is full length. It would be good to return the favour of the corks you sent me :Sun:
The rod would be very short, 6 or 7ft at the most as hopefully they will be holding the rod along with me.
If you ever fancy a day on the ribble just give me a shout, I go on a stretch nr Ribchester but don't mine trying elsewhere.

Thanks
BB

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”