Frank Sawyer's Killer Bug in Colorado

General fly fishing chat area.
Iasgair
Chub

Frank Sawyer's Killer Bug in Colorado

Post by Iasgair »

I'm back in Meeker for round two with these whitefish and I thought I'd try something different than what usually does well here.
I thought I'd try Sawyer's Killer Bug & see if would catch fish in these fast waters we have.

I have to say that Mr. Sawyer knew what he was doing when he made these bugs. The whitefish hit aggressively and I set the hook so hard on one and the fight was incredible, but that fish won that fight because he bent the hook. I replaced the fly with another K Bug and soon enough the rainbows were hitting it as well.

Tomorrow I will be fishing for the browns, and there care some big ones here. So part two will have to come later and this report will have to be short because I'm doing this on my phone & the battery is about gone.

Stay tuned.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Silfield
Brown Trout

Re: Frank Sawyer's Killer Bug in Colorado

Post by Silfield »

Tight lines sir :Hat:
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Can't beat a killer bug ...
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Bigrocky
Stickleback

Post by Bigrocky »

The best bug in my box for Welsh Dee grayling.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

I'm definitely a SKB fan too. :Thumb:

When I used to fly-fish for roach and dace I found that anything resembling the shape of a SKB and was in the cream through brown to orange spectrum would catch especially in small sizes 16 or 18. No need for that special shade of wool. But the best version I found had a reddish thorax and cream, beige or pale brown body. I am convinced that having the front one-third reddish-brown made it a better fly for coarse fish.

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

Mole-Patrol wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:42 pm I'm definitely a SKB fan too. :Thumb:

When I used to fly-fish for roach and dace I found that anything resembling the shape of a SKB and was in the cream through brown to orange spectrum would catch especially in small sizes 16 or 18. No need for that special shade of wool. But the best version I found had a reddish thorax and cream, beige or pale brown body. I am convinced that having the front one-third reddish-brown made it a better fly for coarse fish.
Thank you for the advice about the colors. I will tie some up. :Hat:
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Look forward to your full report and pictures.... big brownies, oh yes! :Hat: :Thumb:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Iasgair wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:16 am
Mole-Patrol wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:42 pm I'm definitely a SKB fan too. :Thumb:

Did any of the above get tied? Love to see a photo.
Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

Mr B wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:25 pm
Iasgair wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:16 am

Did any of the above get tied? Love to see a photo.
Mr B

Sorry Mr B. The past year has been very difficult, and I don't think I need to explain, because we were all in it together. But I was able to get back out for the second round and did very well. But I forgot my phone, so no photos. :doh:

After we got home from the trip it has been one thing after another for awhile, and I completely forgot about using different colors of wool. My ma in-law is in the sewing and craft room as I write this and I know she has bits and pieces of wool laying around. I should ask what colors she has. I do need to tie some up because I might be heading back this March for a fishing competition that they hold every year, that is if Covid 19 doesn't cancel it. It already cancelled the tying expo, unless the numbers drop, then it may resume.

Let me see what I can do, and maybe this weekend I'll tie up a few. But in the meantime, this is what I have been tying.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Nice tying lasgair, I like the combination of new materials and old. Stay well T :Hat:

Return to “General Fly Chat”