Richard Walker 10ft fibreglass rod

The Hardy Rods forum.
Liphook
Barbel

Re: Richard Walker 10ft fibreglass rod

Post by Liphook »

Certainly Tengisgol. Bondaseal (a brick and masonry sealer) is applied to bare, clean blanks only. It's not for applying over thread or other varnishes. Its a strong solvent like substance and I've heard it can strip certain paints. I apply it in a very well ventilated but dust free area - it's got a particularly nasty odour - with a small square of man made sponge ('eggbox' shaped packing foam is what I have had best success with) soaking the sponge well and using long light strokes along the blank. I then leave the blank rotating in a motorised drier. It cures quickly and gives a tough very high gloss finish. You can add fine powdered pigment or even a drop of enamel paint to colour your glaze as you wish. I'm told that all Conoflex and Zziplex blanks had it applied (possibly by a dipped or sprayed application?). Hope that helps :Hat:

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

So presumably you treat the blank, then whip on the rings but the ring whippings then need a varnish applied or epoxy to finish?
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

That's correct :Thumb:

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Thank you sir!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

You're most welcome Tengisgol. It can be quite hard to find Bondaseal and some sellers refuse to post it. Blakdog tackle were my last suppliers. PM me if you struggle and please let us all know how you get on :Hat:

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”