Speedia - Any views ?

The Speedia Reels forum.
Delaminated
Bleak

Re: Speedia - Any views ?

Post by Delaminated »

Hi,
I purchased a Speedia 4 inch reel with the micro drag and check from Rudd’s Tackle Shop in Albany Road, London S.E. in 1965 for the princely sum of 52/6d.
In 1969 I upgraded (?) to a Rapidex that put me back £4/18/6d.

I still have the Rapidex, but sold the Speedia to a friend.
I was influenced by , I think, in the immortal Daily Mirror Book of Angling
by a certain Mr. Crabtree who demonstrated on a “Crack Fishery” how lengthy casts could be made with float tackle with a reel of the “flick-em type”

I have to report that I bit more readily than the roach did in those days. It took me 40 years to replace the Speedia, still can’t Wally- cast tho.
Looks like a month's practice in the garden wouldn’t be wasted.

Regards Tom

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

If you are learning to Wallis cast I would suggest that the best reel to start with would be the Trudex or similar reel with a friction brake. Once you have mastered it then move onto a reel with no drag.

Delaminated
Bleak

Post by Delaminated »

Hi M.P.
Thank you for the very instructive Wallis tutor, I will give it a another go on the first mild afternoon.
I notice that the Trudex has had its line guard removed and other reels shown towards the end of the film looked cageless or without line guards, so I guess that these items on your pin do not help the beginner.
I’ll use a reel loaded with 6 or 8 lb. line to minimise the inevitable birds nests!

Regards Tom.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

:tea:
Last edited by Olly on Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Good afternoon fellow friends,having been a owner of the Rapidex ,in the 60s there did not see many Speedias out on the river if I remember ,The reels that I used to make were a Rapidex copy until I started making Aerials of different diameters.Reelmaker

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Delaminated wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:31 pm Hi M.P.
Thank you for the very instructive Wallis tutor, I will give it a another go on the first mild afternoon.
I notice that the Trudex has had its line guard removed and other reels shown towards the end of the film looked cageless or without line guards, so I guess that these items on your pin do not help the beginner.
I’ll use a reel loaded with 6 or 8 lb. line to minimise the inevitable birds nests!

Regards Tom.
Hi Tom,
Yes, the line guard is a nuisance when casting from the reel. OK is using the loop cast though. One of the reasons I prefer a Trudex over a Rapidex is that the Trudex is open cage whereas the Rapidex has a caged construction. This and line guards can allow or even cause line to go back under the reel if it over runs whilst casting.

When you are Wallis casting you form your own line guard using your finger and thumb held well away from the drum of the reel. This allows you to control the line and keep it away from the spool.

I noticed that you said that you bought a Speedia with a micro drag? I have never seen one of those. I have seen Speedias with adjustable checks, but not the micro drag as found on Aerials and Speedias.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I
Last edited by Olly on Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Olly wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:25 pm I think you have just contradicted yourself.

I have one with the screw drag - identical to my Aerials, Hardy Conquest, Allcocks Flick'ems, etc. And a very early wide drum with ratchet but no drag.

The lower Thames was very popular with "trotters" after the roach & dace. It is not far from Shepherd's Bush (W12) where Speedias were made so a regularly seen reel on the bank.
Yes I have. At least that will have made your day.

Delaminated
Bleak

Post by Delaminated »

Hi M.P.Image
I made up a basic Wallis casting kit but Mrs. T’s gardening planting regime prevents a good swing in a smallish suburban patch, but I managed up to @ 25 feet with a underarm lob.
Practise makes perfect, I will persevere for the satisfaction it will bring and be handy when I next go down to the Avon and Stour.
ps.
The pic. shows the drag on the Speedia.

Regards Tom.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

:surrender:
Last edited by Olly on Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Speedia Reels”