The Carp - Palakona

The Hardy Rods forum.
Paul Cook
Grayling

Re: The Carp - Palakona

Post by Paul Cook »

I got outbid on that Youngs mkiv Avin, it went for a good price and it was the very same rod on the barbel forum . The beasty Youngs rod on ebay that sold the other day would have been a stepped up mkiv carp blank and would have been made by Southwell . According to Clive Young stepped up mkiv blanks would have been made as Pike rods as well as carp .

The Hardy carp rods are nice , I have worked on a few over the years , some well used but no sets at all . Good blanks and they do unfortunately for the buyer , fetch a tidy sum ! I have seen a few go for 250 quid up to 600 quid depending on condition .

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

A good price for the buyer then.....a Southwell built S/U for under a ton!

It looked unrestored too, typical Clive Young whipping in thick green silk.

It always reminds me of the illustration of whipping in the Ladybird book :)

Cane
Grayling

Post by Cane »

ImageImage

I thought there might be some interest in this Hardy advertisement from 1920. Also mentions the Palonika rods.
I’ve included a rather amusing advertisement from the end of the book regarding etiquette for all occasions. No mention of etiquette for angling though. Clearly there is room for a book on the subject, should anyone be inclined to write it! I can think of a few points I’d like included, but I leave that for another day :Wink:
In the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Excellent! I imagine the chapter on 'Etiquette for Yachting' is fascinating, and one I intend to study and fully comprehend!

Cane
Grayling

Post by Cane »

Cat, it’s the fact that “marriage and yachting” are then followed by “mourning” that I find a bit disconcerting! Sounds like an Agatha Christie plot line!
In the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”