Sand and maggots

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Martin James
Tench

Re: Sand and maggots

Post by Martin James »

I can keep a pint of gentles in a zip lock plastic bag, after riddling off all the sawdust or what ever they have been put in, I then put the gentles in the bag, after excluding as much air as possible, I put then in the shed, after 12 hours you will think they are dead, no problem, open the bag they slowly they come to life, in fact I revive mine every couple of days. I first used the idea of putting gentles to sleep, when I first went to Ireland in the early 60's, a gallon would be put in a sealed container, then left alone for a couple of days no problem, sometimes customs would ask what's in the container, I would say bread crumb for bream fishing. No problem.

OldRod
Grayling

Post by OldRod »

Martin James wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:04 pm I can keep a pint of gentles in a zip lock plastic bag, after riddling off all the sawdust or what ever they have been put in, I then put the gentles in the bag, after excluding as much air as possible, I put then in the shed, after 12 hours you will think they are dead, no problem, open the bag they slowly they come to life, in fact I revive mine every couple of days. I first used the idea of putting gentles to sleep, when I first went to Ireland in the early 60's, a gallon would be put in a sealed container, then left alone for a couple of days no problem, sometimes customs would ask what's in the container, I would say bread crumb for bream fishing. No problem.
How long can they keep using your method Martin? I guess it's somewhat temperature dependent?
At the end of the game, the pawn and the King go back into the same box........

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

I have kept them for a week or more when I have been away without a fridge.

Homer Simpson
Grayling

Post by Homer Simpson »

Chubman wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:58 am I use porridge oats as maise go's a bit lumpy,
Me too!

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I discovered porridge by complete accident on holiday one year - absolute revelation.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

AntiqueAngler
Gudgeon

Post by AntiqueAngler »

I too remember the days when feeders(as they were referred to in North West) came in red sand a killing bait years ago on the Bridgwater canal,damping sand made a cloudy attractive ground bait.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”