Chapman The Shelford

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Chapman The Shelford

Post by Ljm183 »

I picked up a Shelford recently that needed a bit of work to bring it back to a usable rod ,it needed a new butt ring and nearly all the varnish had gone, it also needed both the ferrules changing as the they had split,s in them. Anyway the rod is almost ready to use now all the work has been done, it,s a three piece split cane 11ft 2in rod and is quiet light.
Photo,s to follow

found this ad on,t net,
" Chapman 1961 c Shelford 11’0” /3 All split cane. Similar in action to the Allcocks Lucky Strike. One of the nicest of all Chapman rods, although it is very uncommon. A proper all-rounder for everything up to good chub size. Really excellent medium-baked cane. "

Beresford
Sea Trout

Re: Chapman The Shelford

Post by Beresford »

I really want one of these as I prefer it overall in aesthetics to the Lucky strike. A very nice one sold on ebay the other day for £75. I really should have bid harder since I've not seen many about. I use to fish at Shelford and could again now if I wished. I quite like the idea of doing so with the 'right' rod!

I very much look forward to using images of your Shelford.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

Chapmans listing of the taper specifications for the Shelford and the Amwell as exactly the same: http://www.chapmanblanks.co.uk/wordpress/?page_id=102

The only difference I can see is in the ring spacing and the Amwell having intermediates.

Pete

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

craycane wrote:Chapmans listing of the taper specifications for the Shelford and the Amwell as exactly the same: http://www.chapmanblanks.co.uk/wordpress/?page_id=102

The only difference I can see is in the ring spacing and the Amwell having intermediates.

Pete
OOP,s :chuckle: looks like i,ve turned the Shelford into the Amwell by fitting two extra eye,s to the one i have, it just did,nt look right with two eye,s on the mid section and three on the tip,

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

So it rather looks as though the Amwell was a 'de-luxe' Shelford, then?, rather as they 'de-luxed' the 500.

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

ljm183 wrote:

OOP,s :chuckle: looks like i,ve turned the Shelford into the Amwell by fitting two extra eye,s to the one i have, it just did,nt look right with two eye,s on the mid section and three on the tip,
I think I would have done the same, the original spacing does look a bit sparse for an eleven foot rod. Looks very nice.
Nobby wrote: So it rather looks as though the Amwell was a 'de-luxe' Shelford, then?, rather as they 'de-luxed' the 500
Could well have been. Perhaps the Amwell followed the Shelford?
It's very good of Chapmans to share the specs. for these rods.

Pete

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

The rod,s restored and ready to use

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Yup, looks nice to me.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Ah yes, those ferrules reminded me....it was John Chapman who told me that old brass work-hardens and becomes brittle.

So if you come across a rod with a split ferrule, you might reasonably expect the others to go pop too, I'd guess.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

One of these on the bay at the moment which interests me, how much are these likely to go for please?
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”