AN OLD NEW NET!

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Stour Otter
Grayling

AN OLD NEW NET!

Post by Stour Otter »

Spotted this net at my local Antique Market with the label stating 1920's Ash Hooped Net. Having not seen this style of net before and the fact the gentleman selling the item actually had two for sale raised my suspicions. It certainly looked old, but the scorch marks on the frame, poor nail construction and a reasonable clean top edge to the frame where you would expect to see donks and knocks, coupled with a salty stain look soon made me realise that these are brand new and an import. The net material itself is old but lacks that musty fishy smell you just can't get rid of in an old net.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Stour Otter on Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: AN OLD NEW NET!

Post by Dave Burr »

Crafty so and so's.

Chris Bettis
Crucian Carp

Post by Chris Bettis »

A question of Buyer Beware!

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Stour Otter wrote:Spotted this net at my local Antique Market with the label stating 1920's Ash Hooped Net. Having not seen this style of net before and the fact the gentleman selling the item actually had two for sale raised my suspicions. It certainly looked old, but the scorch marks on the frame, poor nail construction and a reasonable clean top edge to the frame where you would expect to see donks and knocks, coupled with a salty stain look soon made me realise that these are brand new and an import. The net material itself is old but lacks that musty fishy smell you just can't get rid of in an old net.

Can I ask what he was asking for them? :Hat:

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

Hello Scott.
The ticket had started with the asking price of just £38.00, then reduced to £18.00. That alone would raise doubt of the items authenticity.
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”