Hackney Marshes

This forum belongs to the River Lea.
Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Hackney Marshes

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Went for a walk with my eldest son today Pouring rain but had to get out the house so went for scoot round the Hackney Marshes.River Lea area.

This is from the Bridge by Homerton road up along the tidal stretch up to the split, where flood relief tunnel joins the river . Around the corner and up to "The Bomb Hole"

Cut across the football pitches( no one playing today) and back to Homerton road along the Navigation canal.

That last bit I fished with our own Tadpole, last june 16th.

The whole area ( no dought coz of Olympics) has been cleaned up. But very much left natural in the sense verges overgrown etc.It looked just great and very fishy...Infact saw Comrants ( two) and a heron. :shocked:

In a way these two stretches of the same river but two very different sections are like a anglers river fishing theme park. Ie all types catered for.

Im going back with me rods. Its just great and so close to me.Now its cleaned up its classic.

Oh and this the last part of the river before the Olympics security cordon( due in very soon) and about 250 yards from the building where the news reports are saying today that there will be RAF surface to Air missiles placed to protect the Olympic site!

Down by the Lea

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Re: Hackney Marshes

Post by Vole »

Good Luck, John!
I can't help wondering if the fishes' "vanishing act" for most of last season was due to low flows (what flows?) failing to clear the river of all the rotting leaves'n'stuff, making it "sour" and driving them up in the water or off into backwaters or around any springs there might be (might there be, so far down the valley? Epping Forest's geology is pretty complex, I believe, so there's hope...).
If this is the case, then they might switch on again after all this rain.
Oh, boy, do I hope so!
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

BobH wrote:John,

Is that the part oppersite the the Pitch and Putt course ?

Bob
Exactly Bob

Also Vole.... I agree the river looked very healthy. Not sterile. And last June Tadpole and I may have blanked but a fair sized wild river carp leapt infront of us at the mention of a well known anglers name

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

Hi John,

I can tell you are twitching to get out there?
The barriers will go up soon to stop boat traffic into the Olympic 'area' (A102 bridge) this will probably mean a lot of boats around where we fished last year, this can be good and bad. Good because the carp like to mooch about under the boat picking up tit bits and like the disturbance of the silt, bad because it will be busy!

Hope to see you down there?

Tadpole

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Tadpole wrote:Hi John,

I can tell you are twitching to get out there?
The barriers will go up soon to stop boat traffic into the Olympic 'area' (A102 bridge) this will probably mean a lot of boats around where we fished last year, this can be good and bad. Good because the carp like to mooch about under the boat picking up tit bits and like the disturbance of the silt, bad because it will be busy!

Hope to see you down there?

Tadpole
And I hope to see you too Tadpole..The boats wont bother me ...take bread . Give me a text and Ill pop down.The river was really looking good and we did seethat Carp didnt we?

Only 10 mins for you and 20 for me from me front door too

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

What carp?

Yes John, we did....I think!

Sure we did?

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Tadpole wrote:What carp?

Tad..... we most definitley did, we was talking...blah blah...blah blah.....one of us mentioned chris yates and a blooming carp jumped :shocked:

A fishless day otherwise.....

But Ive got meself a cheap quiver rod...( the avon got knocked about too often) and Im gonna do some short trips soon . Might even get the bus down there 276 door to door.

Catching fish( any) out of the Lea is my new ambition :geek:

Yes John, we did....I think!

Sure we did?

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

The Lea,

I haven't fished there in year. We used to fish at Cooks Ferry when we were kids either upsteam towards picketts lock or down stream of the bridge either by the woodyards or where the playing fields were.

I might have to give it a go again. Bob where do you fish?

Gaz

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

I went for a rove, pike rod and spratts to hand last december on the Lea Tottenham marshes all the way up to the IKEA ...No bits but Im sure they were in there.

I just love that river :ok:

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Me too mate,

I'd love to go back to the Lea.

A Summer meet up on the Forest ponds and an autumn one on the Lea, sounds good.

When we used to fish upstream on the same side as the waste incineration plant there used to be loads of high dry plant stalks a bit like bamboo, but softer. One freezeing cold winter day when ice was drifting down the river we built a huge bonfire out of them! The plume of smoke had the wardens from picketts lock and the police arrive!.

Gaz

Return to “River Lea”