A Traditional Landing Net Handle

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Barbulus
Tench

A Traditional Landing Net Handle

Post by Barbulus »

Well those of you who have seen some of my posts over the last several years will realise that there are some aspects of this world of ours which never cease to excite and amaze. I have been the fortunate receipient over the years of some incredible acts of generosity; sometimes from folk who I only know through this Forum and through an address, others from people I have known and share a dinner or a days' fishing with: you might recall the Redmire "floats" from a particularly famous Member here; the leather float tube; the custom made leather rod tube for my MKIVs and a handle; the leather rod rest tubes; the amazing flamed and hollowed rod rests and of course the incredible "Redmire Chess Set" from a mysterious benefactor to provide five hand cardved ferrule stoppers. The list is somewhat long ! However, last night I must tell you has - almost - finished my quest for exquisite and traditional tackle.............let me explain.....

Northern Nomad and I meet on occasion at a 15th Century pub local to us both....well almost local ! A pint or two of real ale, an occasional meal and a few hours relaxing in that unique conversation that only anglers of many years can have. Last night was one such occasion; a pleasure to spend a few hours with a like minded soul.

Some while ago, I had asked for what I initially thought would be a relatively straightforward "Commission" from NN; a two piece screw together cane landing net handle. I gave "free rein" to the commission brief knowing that NN would deliver his usual craftmanlike skill. I said I was happy to do the thread work, the varnish but that the metal work and screw thread and ferrules was simply beyond my capability..........well fellow TTF'ers.....

Rather theatrically "hidden" behind NN on an ancient "Pub pew" as the flickering lights of our ancient hostelry provided an almost candlelight quality to the room, I saw a rather delightful looking "rod bag". What was this ? Not another rod surely...........all soon to be revealed............

Unbelievable.........as I was handed the custom "rod bag" and untied the bows...........it was like an early Christmas present as the contents were revealed..............

To record that my expectations were surpassed is, frankly, an understatement. I am not sure that I even have the nouns or adjectives to describe how incredible this traditional landing net handle actually is. The work that NN has put in to straightening the cane...he went through several pieces before being satisfied.....matching the cane profiles....providing his unique "flared end" to the cane...the quality of the lathe work and hand turned ferrules...the 12 mm interconnections for strength then the 3/8ths for the traditional net...the "flaming".....the beautiful whippings in Chestnut piped with gold and then layers of fine varnish. It is simply the most amazing net handle. I am "over the moon"...not the first time I know....but since last night I can assure you that it has been on display in the study. I am obsessed with it ! It is stunning and I know the photographs just cannot capture just how fantastic this piece of work is. I know I did not make it but to be the custodian on this Earth of such a piece is a gift from above.

So...the "techy bits"...it's two piece because I needed that for ease of transportation. Its lightweight but amazingly strong. In total it's just under 6 feet in assembled length. However, what NN has also done with his creative flare is to provide a three in one net and a further surprise. The "standard" carp length net handle as you can see to accommodate my traditional carp net; but then the ability to only use one section for shorter "boat work" when piking....then a further seperate small length handle to make it into a trout net when wading....and then...with the brass attachment on the short section, a "priest" should the need arise..........four in one ! I am still amazed ! What an amazing gentlemen. Thank you NN. You, Sir have absolutely made the very best traditional handle I have seen and something to be both used yet treasured.

An addendum however is appropriate. The custom "rod bag" or more accurately custom designed and made "landing net handle bag". The source ? yes; you might have guesed. It is NN's lady wife; a very skilled seamstress who has made the beautiful canvas bag designed specifically to protect this incredible handle. Thank you both.

I know, without knowing exactly whom, that a couple of other TFF Members will shortly be the lucky receipients of Northern Nomad's amazing work. I can only say that you really will not be disappointed. The quality and custom made functional yet beautiful design and finish to NN's work has to be seen to be believed. Incredible. If anyone reading this post wants a piece of traditional tackle made for them, do not hesitate for even one minute. Send a PM to Northern Nomad and you will have a smile on your face such as I do this evening as I look again at an absolutely superb piece of traditional tackle. Thank you NN. Amazing !

Lea Dweller
Pike

Re: A Traditional Landing Net Handle

Post by Lea Dweller »

A wonderful creation, also a great act of kindness, well done NN!

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

:shocked: WOW! :drool:

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

A lovely thing to use or simply look at....the question....what will the net/frame look like, a hard act to follow !
Tight lines Dave

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

That is absolutely wonderful. What a talent!
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Oh My Word !!! Truly spectacular. Inspirational stuff, Gentlemen.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Badger
Grayling

Post by Badger »

Wonderful, and in the spirit of great friendship.
"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

That is simply stunning. A thing of beauty
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Shaun Harrison wrote::shocked: WOW! :drool:
Think Shaun has said all that can be said, bloody lovely :Hat:

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

IFrom all angles, the skill, the execution and most importantly the kind generosity, that is simply breath taking!

Northern Nomad :Hat: I salute you!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”